Transitioning with multiple tracks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old October 14th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Transitioning with multiple tracks

I doing a simple 3d photo effect in Premiere where I split a photo into 2 layers in Photoshop and then put each layer into its own track in Premiere, one on top of the other. I applied a slow zoom to each layer at slightly different speeds to give the feel of 3D. The effect is simple and works great, however now I am applying some Dip to Black transitions between photos and its causing the bottom layer to drop out to black as soon as the top track's transition is hit. I applied the transition to both layers, but that may not be the right way to do it. How do I apply the transition so that both layers fade together? Thanks so much.
Nicholas Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Maybe try to nest compositions?

Create a new composition with the 2 layers to create your 3D effect, then take this new composition and drop it into your main timeline, and add the dip to black between the composition you just created and the next clip you want to transition to?

Hope this helps!

C
Carl Middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The best way to do this is to nest a sequence into another. So create your photo layers with your zoom effects in a sequence, then bring that sequence into another sequence as a single layer. It sounds much more complicated than it really is. You can save all your hard work by just copying your photo layers in your main sequence, making a new sequence, and then paste them in the new sequence with all the zooming still intact. Then nest the new sequence back in your main sequence and apply dip to black.

This video tutorial explains it really well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUUbcA_lA2s

Carl just beat me to it... exactly what he said, but in Premiere they're called "Sequences". He probably uses After Effects like I do for this type of thing, where they are called "Compositions", they're the same thing, and Carl is suggesting the same thing I am. I had to check myself as well, because I first typed "compostion" instead of "sequence"... heh!

Last edited by Bert Smyth; October 14th, 2007 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Carl types faster than I do...
Bert Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Wow, thats such a simple solution that I just never even thought of. It should definately do the trick. Thanks so much for the quick responses.
Nicholas Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 09:21 AM   #5
Major Player

even easier than that: put a 'black video' on the timeline above the layers, and dissolve it in or out accordingly :)
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite