anti...antivirus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old October 17th, 2007, 12:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

anti...antivirus

How much of a performance boost would one see when shutting down antivirus software vs. leaving it on while editing on a fast machine running PPCS3?

If there is a boost, what does it depend on?

Thanks all

Jay
Jay Legere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 06:18 AM   #2
Inner Circle

A Lot!

Antivirus software can practically reduce your editing efficiency to almost nothing, depending on what that software is and what's it doing at the moment. If your antivirus decides it's time for a full scan, forget editing!

Seriously Jay, get a cheap second computer and a $40 KVM switch to hook up both computers to the same monitor/keyboard/mouse speakers and keep your editing machine dedicated exclusively to video.

It was my best invested $40 ever! Now I have an old PC running internet, e-mail, and office programs - fully protected by ZoneAlarm on the highest protection setting, and an editing PC with nothing but the Adobe Suite on it and it's not even connected to the internet. And both of them work perfect.
Old October 18th, 2007, 06:41 AM   #3
Inner Circle

What he said. Keep as much 'not' running as much as you can on your editor. And clean often, run virus online, trojan stuff etc every once in a while.
Old October 18th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Of course it also depends on what anti-virus software you use. Some are more intrusive and interfere all the time. I just got rid of McAfee for that reason. It is always trying to scan or check for updates even when you don't want it to.

McAfee came up once while I was editing a long project and kept asking to do an update, maybe a dozen times. Finally during the render, it came up again and I could not click it off and it messed up the render and the project.

I now use F-Secure, which never bothers me at all so far.

Mike
Old October 18th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #5
Trustee

McAfee is a ram hog. I switched to Nod32 from eset. Very small footprint. I also run behind a hardware firewall which keeps me out of trouble.

If a second PC is not an option, you may consider setting up different accounts that are configured accordingly, one for everything, another with minimal services for editing.

You could also create a dual boot scheme for bare bones OS vs bloated.
Old October 18th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Wow...

A lot of thought has gone in to solving your anti-virus hic-ups.

I will have to consider all that was said and figure out the safest way to get the fastest results.

Perhaps I could just shut down McAfee while editing, unplug the ethernet cable if necessary and just fire everything back up again when I am done editing for the day?
Old October 18th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Legere View Post
Wow...

A lot of thought has gone in to solving your anti-virus hic-ups.

I will have to consider all that was said and figure out the safest way to get the fastest results.

Perhaps I could just shut down McAfee while editing, unplug the ethernet cable if necessary and just fire everything back up again when I am done editing for the day?
Ah, there in is the rub. McAfee does not like to be shut down. I found that the only way to completely eliminate my problems was to remove it from the computer.

M
Old October 18th, 2007, 08:01 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Ouch!

A four year deal signed with those guys too:)

Money out the door if I switch it seems.
Old October 18th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Jay...........

I think you'll find that if you stop the software from firing up in the first place, you won't have a problem. If you go here:

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/view...3161&sliceId=2

and read thoroughly, especially the section titled :

"Disable Non- essential Applications"

it tells you how to do this.

The article is also a mini Bible for ensuring the best system configuration for just about any NLE software running on Win XP.

CS

PS. I personally believe a link to this article should be "stickied" in both this and the general PC Forum. It could solve so many problems for so many people.

Last edited by Chris Soucy; October 18th, 2007 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Addition
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Legere View Post
How much of a performance boost would one see when shutting down antivirus software vs. leaving it on while editing on a fast machine running PPCS3?

If there is a boost, what does it depend on?

Thanks all

Jay
i uninstalled norton last night(took 1hr cuz my laptop was slow) i upgraded to 2 GB RAM and wondered why it was ssssooooo slow so i uninstalled norton and now my laptop is hella fast :)
Cameron Naghibi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite