DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Is Adobe's OnLocation compatible with HDV 720p/25 from JVC??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/105959-adobes-onlocation-compatible-hdv-720p-25-jvc.html)

Jose Milan October 18th, 2007 03:07 PM

Is Adobe's OnLocation compatible with HDV 720p/25 from JVC???

Hello,

I'm new with HD and dont understand too much its pc workflow, we record in SD using a XL1s and we might get a JVC 110E to make the leap to HD (after looking for options such as Sony HVR V1 and Canon's A1, but being the JVC like using a XL1s and having a Fujinon lenses seems superb) and I'm very exited to be getting one.

My main concern is to know if Adobe's OnLocation is going to be compatible with the output of the camera which is going to be mainly HDV 720p/25 and maybe in the future 720p/24 for the cinema look. Editing will be done using PPro Cs2 and CS3.

Anybody knows?

Thanks

Jose Milan October 24th, 2007 09:37 AM

Please help...we are about to buy the JVC GY-HD1000 camera.

I've look all through the onlocation manual, the online manual and in the program there's no clear way to specify this.

I assume the program via firewire when it detects the camera does this automatically, but I really dont know. There must be onlocation users outthere who has tried this personaly.

So can onlocation caputure 720p with frame rates of: 25, 25 and 30?

Thanks

Scott Vystrcil October 24th, 2007 01:43 PM

Jose,

I am not absolutely possitive, but On Location works with a Sony HVR-Z1U which is HDV. It is 1080/60i HDV, but it works fine.

Jose Milan October 25th, 2007 03:02 AM

Hello Scott,

I've tried the Sony myself and verify that it does work with the Sony, the thing is that I need to know if it would work with the jvc which records 720p at 24/25/30. Theres a monitor for 720p but there's nowhere to change the frame rates, I dont know if onlocation does this auto...I would like to choose the frame rate I want.

Any ideas?

Seth Bloombaum October 26th, 2007 10:41 AM

I have used a JVC HD100 into DVRack at 60i, which worked fine without any adjustments. Sorry, I don't own a JVC for further testing.

Perhaps you should ask Adobe about this.

Jose Milan October 29th, 2007 07:04 AM

Hello again,

If you'd tried the jvc 100 I think it should work with the 110 too!

Thanks

Jim Andrada October 29th, 2007 11:06 PM

Jose,

I have DVRack 2 HD on my PC and a JVC 110U sitting about 10 feet away. I have a conference call with my clients in Japan coming up in a little bit, but after the call I'll have some time and I'll be glad to hook up the JVC and see how it works.

OnLocation is what Adobe renamed DV Rack when they bought the company and I think it's still the same as the latest DV Rack - but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyhow, I should be able to get back to you in a couple of hours with a result. Hope it's soon enough.

Jim Andrada October 30th, 2007 02:13 AM

Well, I hooked up the JVC 110U and DV Rack saw it - but no matter what I did I couldn't seem to capture. At one point I saw some video in the DV Rack window but the program crashed almost immediately thereafter.

Just to check things I brought up Vegas and captured just fine, so it wasn't the connection or the camera. And I also captured in Cineform. No problems.

I also set the firewire mode to DV and tried DV Rack again. It showed that the camera was DV instead of HDV, but still no luck

By the way, DV Rack saw the camera as the HD100 not the HD 110.

By the way, I was running in 720P from a tape that was recorded at 1/60 shutter speed. Didn't have time to fool with other modes.

Anyhow, not a good result. Not sure if OnLocation is any better, but DV Rack seems to be a lost cause, so I'd worry about OnLocation playing nice with this camera.

Anyone else out there with better or more relevant results?

Seth Bloombaum October 30th, 2007 10:39 AM

I'll be working with a buddy with an HD100 in the next couple days, hopefully I'll get a chance for further testing (DVRack HD 2.0).

My understanding is that Jim is right, no changes from DVRack to OnLocation other than rebranding.

Bill Ravens October 31st, 2007 07:59 AM

Capturing from my JVC HD110 to my PC via HDRack works just fine for me. I capture to a new 8Gb CF card via a Sandisk Extreme firewire card reader. I love this solution. Capture to solid state memory...no moving parts and I can pull the CF card and put it in my shirt pocket when I go to lunch or across town to my workstation.

Seth Bloombaum October 31st, 2007 10:07 AM

No moving parts is always good!

Have you been working in 24p, 30p, 60i - the original poster was concerned with 25p.

Tony Neal October 31st, 2007 05:24 PM

Just recorded a couple of clips from a JVC 110 at 720 25p into OnLocation and it worked OK apart from a couple of glitches through using the internal hard drive rather than my usual external SATA drive.

I've already recorded a couple of 2 hour shows in 1080 50i using OnLocation so I know its up to the job.

Tony

Jim Andrada October 31st, 2007 06:26 PM

Hmmm

Wonder why I had so much trouble. I never had any problem with the GL2 but the program really threw up on the 110 for me.

I'll give it another try tonight or tomorrow. Can't imagine what's going wrong - I left the camera connected after DV Rack failed to capture, and started capturing in Vegas and then Cineform with zero problems.

Bill Ravens October 31st, 2007 06:59 PM

yeah, I work in NTSC land.

Jose Milan November 20th, 2007 04:57 PM

Hello guys,

Sorry for not answering, I've been off working alot these days...I'm still waiting for the arrival of the JVC, hopelly it will work when it arrives. Seems like for you guys the set up works, I hope it does por PAL too...if you have any more info or more updates I'll be happy to hear.

Best regards,

Jose Milan