DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Help!: Encoding with PP2 - "jittery" video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/106555-help-encoding-pp2-jittery-video.html)

Don Bazley October 26th, 2007 06:53 AM

Help!: Encoding with PP2 - "jittery" video

I'm using PP2 and Encore for dvd. I encoded to M2DVD using the Adobe Media Encoder. I put the M2 files into the Encore timeline and burned a disc. The video look like... well, bad. There is artifacts/noise in some spots and the video is "jittery" or lagging. It's hard to describe what I mean, but...

Can anyone offer insight on the best way to get my project out of PP2 so it looks like it does in the PP2 timeline. Any input is appreciated. I'm trying to get the disc to the client tonight. I've come to learn the Adobe Media Encoder is mostly useless (seems that way to me at least).

-Don

Dean Fairburn October 26th, 2007 07:38 AM

Hi Don,

I have only experienced this with footage captured from my Matrox RTX100 card due to the field dominance being reversed - upper fields capture / lower fields render but this was with DV PAL footage. Doubt this is the same issue but thought it might be worth a mention.

Don Bazley October 26th, 2007 09:27 AM

Thanks for the post Dean, but I do think it's a different issue. I have created DVDs using the same computer in the past. I guess I'm wondering if it is a settings issue or if I just need to be using some different encoder to create the M2s for Encore DVD.

Mike McCarthy October 26th, 2007 09:36 AM

I recommend using the field renderer in After Effects, especially if you are converting the frame size or frame rate. Are you coming from something besides DV? Export a native res master file out of Premiere, and import that in AE. Resize you comp in AE to 720x480 at desired PAR and scale source clip to fit. In the renderer settings turn on field renderer, lower field first for NTSC, and add pulldown if your master clip is 24fps. Using AE has given me MUCH better results when changing scale and framerate.

Don Bazley October 29th, 2007 08:32 AM

Thanks Mike. I will try AE and see if that is better. I wasn't changing frame rate or size but the clips were slo-mo. I guess AE is better to use for slo-mo also. I think my problem was that I had some of the settings (size) wrong when I tried to export to M2. Thanks for the input. I'll try exporting from AE.

-Don B.

Mike McCarthy October 29th, 2007 12:10 PM

Slow Mo adds another issue, but that can be dealt with in AE. AE has much better slow motion tools. For interlaced footage, make sure that the field interpretation is set correct, lower for DV, upper for HDV etc. Repeating interlaced frames that are interpreted as Progressive will give that blinking jumpy look.

Don Bazley October 29th, 2007 01:21 PM

Thanks Mike. You've been a help.

To clarify/confirm: In your first response you said:"Export a native res master file out of Premiere". I assume what you mean here is to simply "export movie", whicj creates a AVI file. Correct?

Thanks again,

Don B.

Mike McCarthy October 29th, 2007 01:49 PM

Yes, Export Movie, at whatever resolution and framerate you are editing at. I recommend processing any significant slow-motion in AE separately from the source file if possible.