"Panning Audio" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old November 1st, 2007, 10:42 PM   #1
New Boot

"Panning Audio"

Hey Guys kinda new here but have enjoyed reading the very informative info from all you experts here.

I just purchased Adobe CS3. I had been running a DPS Velocity for years. OK here's the setup......... I tape 2 subjects talking. They each are wearing a wireless mic. One of them is recorded to channel 1 (Left Channel) on my cameras audio and the other person on channel 2 (Right Channel). When in post in the Velocity system I could click my audio track and do a "panning" effect. This would put the audio on both tracks equally. Audio that was on the "Left Channel" would stay on the left but would also be distrubuted to the "Right Channel" equally and what was on the Right would also be on the left.

I can't figure out how to do this on the CS3. Please help.
Brad Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Two ways to do it:
Pre-CS3 you had to duplicate the audio on the next track, and add the Fill Left effect to one track, and the fill right effect to the other.
Now I believe you can select a clip in the project window, and change the way the audio is interpreted in one of the menus (Sorry I am not looking at the app, look it up if you can't find it). Change it from single stereo track to dual mono tracks, and don't re-pan the channels left to right when you put it on the timeline. By default both mono source tracks will evenly distributed left to right.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 03:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McCarthy View Post
Two ways to do it:
Pre-CS3 you had to duplicate the audio on the next track, and add the Fill Left effect to one track, and the fill right effect to the other.
This is incorrect. Premiere Pro 2.0 has an audio source mapping feature that I am sure will also be there in CS3. Check out this tutorial Brad, its exactly what you're talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_7JKt4DMWM
Bert Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 12:55 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Smyth View Post
This is incorrect. Premiere Pro 2.0 has an audio source mapping feature that I am sure will also be there in CS3. Check out this tutorial Brad, its exactly what you're talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_7JKt4DMWM
Yes, that feature was actually available in 2.0, I forgot when they added it. (Pre-2.0 you needed dupicate tracks.)
Old November 3rd, 2007, 01:21 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McCarthy View Post
I forgot when they added it.
Totally understandable Mike, I don't think many of us do back to back upgrades! Isn't a great little feature though? I had the same situation as Brad just a little while ago, and had never used the Source Mapping feature. When I did I was like, wow, sweet! Brad, did you check out that Youtube tutorial? Just wondered if it helped...
Bert Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 11:27 AM   #6
New Boot

Hey guys sorry for the delay but I have been out of town for 3 days.

Thanks so much for the help and the link to the YouTube video. Unfortunatly I am on a real slow dial-up and am not able to watch it. I will hopefully get to look at it on my friends computer soon.
Brad Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #7
New Boot

Hey guys just giving yall an update and to say thanks for all your help. The YouTube video showed exactly what I needed to fix my audio. Thanks for the link.
Brad Stout is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite