Quad Xeon vs Quad Opteron at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old November 4th, 2007, 10:19 AM   #1
Trustee

Quad Xeon vs Quad Opteron

Ok, so I'm going to buy a new computer to edit my stuff (premiere pro CS3) and I have started doing some research. This week I saw a lot of Quad Xeon machines around 500€ to 700€ (which is not expensive for a quad). So I had my mind set on a Quad Xeon when All of the sudden I have started reading about the Quad Opteron (which I'm not even sure it's out or not). Does any one have any advice?

There's actually quite a bargain I have my eyes on that I would like your opinion.

528,99 €
REDDIS Q6600Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 4x2.4 Ghz - RAM 1024Mb - HD 320Gb S-ATA - DVD+-RW DL LightScribe

The website doesn't say much more than this. What I would do is additionally put 4mb ram.

Any thoughts or advice in what I should be looking for to end up with a nice steady editing machine would be appreciated.

cheers,

Rafa
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 12:05 PM   #2
Major Player

This link will give you info on the Quad Xeon vs Opteron:
http://www.swsoft.com/r/summit/2007/...esentation.pdf
Summary: Xeon is currently better, and will be for a while.

The system you specify is unrelated to that issue though. You are correct, more Ram to priority. Step 2, more disks, preferably in a Raid. other than that, it should be a reasonable HDV, DVCProHD type system.
Old November 4th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks. The article really helped. I will wait until intel penryn is out and check out the prices...probably it will be a bit outrageous in the beginning.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 02:07 AM   #4
Major Player

Yes, but the availability of new products should lower the prices of the older existing products. I plan to buy a system in December for that reason.
Old November 5th, 2007, 02:20 AM   #5
Trustee

Also very true.
It's amazing how fast things are moving. I have bought my amd dual +3800 with 2gb ram and 2 350gb hd for almost 800€ like 2 years ago or less. Today I can find the same machine for 200€ and a quad for 528,99 €. That just blows me away...in a very good way! I just wish the videocamera business was like this too.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite