DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Any Benifit for 64bit Vista users and Adobe CS3 Produciton studio? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/108908-any-benifit-64bit-vista-users-adobe-cs3-produciton-studio.html)

Tyson Persall November 27th, 2007 12:12 AM

Any Benifit for 64bit Vista users and Adobe CS3 Produciton studio?

If Adobe Premiere CS3 is still 32bit program does that mean that it can not benifit in any way from running on a Windows Vista 64bit OS? If the machine has 4GB of Ram, will Premiere CS3 perform any better?

What about After effects?

Sergio Sanchez November 27th, 2007 12:32 AM

Im using a workstation with double dual core processors and 8gb of ram. If you use AE CS3 or Premiere in windows 64 bits, youŽll have thhe programs using the full 2GB of RAM, in the case of after effects you can have it use up to 3GB of memory. You will have longer RAM previews, less crashes when rendering very big or complex comps.

But the truth is you will only feel the difference if you use more than 4GB of RAM,

Mike McCarthy November 27th, 2007 01:01 AM

With more than 8GB of RAM avaiable total. PPro and AE will no longer need to share a total of 2-3GB of memory with a 64bit OS. Instead, they each get up to 4GB independently, and with multiple instances of AE running, you can use upto 4x(number of execution cores) GB or RAM for rendering.

John Miller November 27th, 2007 08:33 AM

Although each 32-bit process gets the full 4GB if available, applications still only get 2GB (the "user mode" stuff). The other 2GB is for "kernel mode" stuff. The exceptions are those (potentially disastrous) apps that use the /3GB kludge. I'm not sure if that is supported on the 64-bit platform or not.

Nevertheless, getting a full 2GB instead of sharing it with everything else that's running is a tremendous boon - especially since both 32- and 64-bit versions of Vista come on the same DVD.

Brian Brown November 27th, 2007 01:44 PM

I'm running Vista 64-bit Home Premium and the CS3 Creative Suite and love it. I built a quad-core Intel (Q6600) and 8GB or RAM with a 10k rpm system drive and an assortment of video and project drives (PATA, SATA, and eSATA).

AE can address up to 4GB of the RAM, and PPro seldom needs more than 1GB to wrangle the native HDV work I shoot. I'll also regularly have Photoshop and Bridge open, making it a true multi-tasking environment. Vista does a good job of managing the physical RAM and page file.

A program like Nucleo Pro can address the full 8GB of RAM in AE and do background rendering, etc. I'm debating whether to invest in that or Cineform... depends on whether my next jobs are motion graphics or video-centric.

From all of the horror stories I've heard about Vista 32-bit, I've seemed to have experienced very, very few hiccups (knock on wood!). Quicktime Pro has given me the most headaches so far (as a browser plug-in, especially). But the biggest pain is Minolta-QMS refuses to write a 64-bit driver for my old color laser printer. So I have to use Remote Desktop to go into my old XP box to print in color. It's been worth the pain, though, to have workstation-like performance for the $1,300 or so I spent in hardware and the $800 CS3 upgrade. No regrets (so far).

Hope this helps,
Brian Brown
BrownCow Productions

Tyson Persall November 27th, 2007 02:37 PM

WOW.Great!

Yeah, I do really complex After effects comps with lots of layers, in Uncompressed for compoisiting. -So any performance boost in After effects will help me. It would also be great if i could run both premiere and photoshop at the same time, or AFX and Photshop and work back and forth.

Right now (with WinXP 32bit) i have to restart the computer, and then open each program one at a time, and if i have been runnig AFX i have to restart before i can run premiere. Theres got to be a better way!

Tyson Persall November 27th, 2007 02:45 PM

To Brian;

Brian,

Thats the exact processor i was planning on getting for my 64bit rig i was going to build. (The quad-core Intel (Q6600)) -with the Raptor X system drive and 4GB RAM. What Motherboard did you choose to run it on? I am looking at the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe but am wondering if there are better boards now.

My dream is true multi tasking where i can have multiple Adobe CS3 programs running at the same time, swich back and forth and not have to restart so much. From what your reporting, perhaps i should go for 8GB of Ram instead of 4.

Tyson Persall November 27th, 2007 03:35 PM

John, about Vista 32 and 64 bit

Does anyone know if you can buy OEM Vista 32-bit and 64-bit together (NOT RETAIL) - Is this only retail boxed version that comes with both?

Here is what I need for my new system build: I need a dual boot - with Windows XP Pro 32 bit on one - and VISTA 64bit on the other boot. That way I can run all my older programs that require Windows XP and when i'm going to do high performance compositing and editing in Premiere and After effects I'll restart to the VISTA 64bit boot. However, Id really like to not have to buy TWO Operating Systems. Does anyone know if there is a cheaper Solution to my problem? Does the offer to buy Windows XP and get a free upgrade to VISTA still exist?

Seems to me Microsoft would realize that in order to speed up adoption of VISTA, they should allow us to have a dual boot of XP and Vista at the same time. They should understand by now that people have this issue with not all of there software being computable with Vista, and would need for the transitional period to go back to Windows XP for that reason. This is why on my laptop i have downgraded to XP because Vista would not run any of my software.

Brian Brown November 27th, 2007 05:29 PM

Tyson, I did have my setup with 4GB of RAM for awhile, "testing the waters" of Vista before buying another 4GB. It did multi-task OK, but once AE was open and doing RAM previews, the swap file would end up doing a lot of "heavy lifting". So, I'd recommend 8GB if you want to have the Suite apps. open and still keep everything cooking along in physical RAM.

I went with a rather generic Intel P35 motherboard. NewEgg #13-121-313. I liked the number of SATA inputs it had on it, and the price was nice. Since I don't overclock or have needs for premium upgrades (7.1 sound, wi-fi, etc.), I didn't feel the need to go with a high-end Asus or Abit board.

I can't say much about whether Vista OEM comes in both flavors. I know that mine did not prompt me for one or the other, so I doubt it. I do know that 64-bit Home Premium has run everything I've thrown at it so far:

Adobe CS3 apps (even Encore, which I was told would not run under it)
Nero burning SW
Google Earth
DVD Decrypter
AutoCAD 2000
OpenOffice
Namo Web Editor suite
VLC Media Player
a couple of FTP apps
Windows Media Encoder (they even have a 64-bit version that smokes!)
Quicktime (browser module is wonky, though)
And a few others

I am told that any software with ANY 16-bit code in it WON'T run under the OS. And driver support is critical, since it won't let you load un-signed ones (which makes it a much more stable OS, IMHO).

HTH,
Brian Brown
BrownCow Productions

Alex Chamberlain December 16th, 2007 01:28 AM

In process. . .

I'm in the process of setting up my Vista 64-bit system with CS2 Production Premium and I have to say the worst problem I've had so far is that quicktime seems to kill CS3 when its installed. I uninstall quicktime again and everything works fine. This, of course is a major bummer since I use iTunes and would like to include quicktime in my workflow on occasion. I don't want to hijack this thread, but if someone who has experienced and worked through this could message me or something, I'd be grateful. Thanks!

Mike McCarthy December 16th, 2007 02:15 AM

I have heard of other people having issues with Quicktime in 64bit OS. I would lookinto that before looking into the CS3 side. Is there a specific 64bit varient of Quicktime?

Brian Brown December 16th, 2007 04:31 PM

I too have had issues with QT and the 64-bit Vista. Everything seems to work OK now with the latest version except for Web implementations of QT and streaming. The standalone QT Pro player works fine, and I can encode to MOV now (although I rarely need it since I use Flash or H.264 for all web exports... see below).

FWIW, there is a PC QT alternative out there that I should probably look into. http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

In my heart of hearts, I don't think M$ products and Apple products will ever co-exist very well. Seemingly, Macs prefer MOVs and PCs prefer WMV. But anybody can play an FLV/SWF. So I don't risk alienating my Web viewers by picking one format over another and just output Flash.

My $0.02,
Brian Brown

p.s. Speaking of PC vs. Mac, is it just me, or have the latest crop of Apple's PC/Mac commercials lost a lot of their wit? Those things used to be very funny.

Mike McCarthy December 16th, 2007 04:53 PM

The anti-Vista ones where the best ever IMHO, (basically due to the "So True..." factor) but the few since then have been pretty lame though.

Brian Brown December 16th, 2007 05:36 PM

Hey, I must have missed the Vista ones. But I found where Apple keeps all the commercials so I can catch up: http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

This ought to keep me entertained for hours.

-bb

p.s. FYI: these stream OK for me, but the nav bar is totally black on IE and Firefox with Vista64. I have to "feel" where the buttons are.

Alex Chamberlain December 18th, 2007 10:40 PM

Quicktime Fix

Hey all,
David Newman from Cineform clued me in as to how I could fix the bug with Quicktime. It's mind-bogglingly simple. All you have to do is hold down the SHIFT key while starting Adobe Premiere. This causes it to re-index its plugins and thereafter it works! (at least for me) Complete details can be found in the following thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...060#post795060

Thanks for your help!

Oops! Just realized that I wrote "CS2 Production Premium" in my post above, when, in fact, I'm using CS3. Sorry!