DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Nvidia GeForce 8800GT / Video overlay in Premiere Possible? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/108955-nvidia-geforce-8800gt-video-overlay-premiere-possible.html)

Tyson Persall November 27th, 2007 03:31 PM

Nvidia GeForce 8800GT / Video overlay in Premiere Possible?

This quote from Mike McCarthy's website about the 8800GT card...

"The new 8800GT is a remarkable value for almost anyone who needs a powerful GPU... ....The GeForce 8800GT on the other hand, has a few unique feature that might be of benefit in the post-production world. The first is support for PCIe 2.0 which simply put, doubles the available bandwidth to and from the card from the motherboard. The increasing the bandwidth FROM the card is of little use to the card’s target audience, gamers, since all almost output from games is sent to the monitor, BUT applications that depend on the GPU to process video before saving it back to disk could see more significant benefits from this. With performance almost equal to the 8800GTX

"There is a rumor that Nvidia disabled certain functions when they released their newest generation of consumer cards, that will now only be available from the QuadroFX line, but I have not been able to confirm that. Specifically they are said to have disabled hardware support for full screen video overlay, (allowing full screen preview in an NLE) which I intend to test once I get a working GeForce8 card. I would appreciate information about anyone else’s experiences in this regard. If that is true, it means that we might soon find signicant disadvantages from using consumer cards for professional work, but fortunately, I do not think we have yet come to that point."

I took this from: http://www.hd4pc.com/techblog/2007/1...nvidia-vs-ati/

So i was wondering mike, Can anyone confirm Video overlay from timeline in premiere with this card? Has it really been disabled? Cause im about to buy it for my system.

Josh Chesarek November 27th, 2007 03:38 PM

Come friday I will have an 8800GTX to test with. Along with a second monitor. I have never done the Video overlay part so any directions in doing it would be appreciated.

Mike McCarthy November 27th, 2007 03:43 PM

My 8800GTX works with Premiere's native overlay support, (not very well though) but it does not work at all with Prospect's full screen overlay options in the Cineform RT editing mode. AE works because it uses a totally different way of generating full screen output. I have not tried full screen from other media apps, but the Nvidia settings that usually allow this are all disabled. i hear older drivers can restore those options on XP only.

Josh Chesarek November 28th, 2007 06:08 PM

I found the settings and have tested with my 7800GTX and it works. I should be able to do additional testing with the 8800GTX tomorrow. Mike, what additional problems are you having with your setup excluding Prospect? I am still debating on using my 2nd screen as a monitor or using the two screens with premiere stretched across two screens.

Carl Middleton November 28th, 2007 06:22 PM

I've uploaded a walkthrough here:
http://download.yousendit.com/9E046F5122DF5772

If any of you have attachment privledges, feel free to repost that link here, it's rather small.

Carl

Mike McCarthy November 28th, 2007 11:35 PM

Unfortunately I don't believe those options are available to Vista users, and the newer drivers don't support this older method either. Certain apps require the newer drivers. My drivers (Forceware 162) don't have those options at all.

Josh Chesarek November 29th, 2007 08:54 AM

Ill have to see what he did in the walk through, I was using the option though premiere to use the second screen as a overlay in Vista Ultimate 32bit.

Carl Middleton November 29th, 2007 09:19 AM

Aye, sorry if it doesn't work for you guys.

I'm running XP 32bit, PPro2.0, AspectHD.
nVidia Driver 6.14

Josh Chesarek December 4th, 2007 09:30 AM

I am using the 8800GTX Vista 64bit Ultimate and the overlay works fine with the standard stuff in Premiere CS3.

Carl Middleton December 4th, 2007 09:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Glad to hear! Since I can post attachments now, I attached the walkthrough for others. Glad to hear it worked out for you!

C

Pete Bauer December 4th, 2007 10:05 AM

Josh, are you editing native m2t / mpeg, or an intermediate codec (specifically wondering about Cineform)?

Tyson Persall December 4th, 2007 02:21 PM

From my experience with a Quadro FX 570

Well if you are editing in HD then you have the option in premiere to "use the second monitor as your overlay screen. But in DV mode you don't get that option, at least in PRemiere 2.0.

THus, you need a video card that does it for you - then your ok. But I don't know if they changed that in Premiere CS3 or not. ?

Josh Chesarek December 4th, 2007 03:29 PM

I am editing with just the native M2T/Mpeg2. I capture with the default abilities of CS3 and edit with them. I do not color correct for most of my things and such so I haven't been able to justify the price of the software.

I am using the option of using my 2nd screen as a monitor via overlay in Premiere CS3

John Hewat December 4th, 2007 05:17 PM

Can anyone verify whether the full screen video works in CS3 with Prospect HD using an 8800?

I know CS3 can force full screen preview no matter what card but there's some suggestion that it doesn't work with Prospect in CS3.

Mike McCarthy December 4th, 2007 06:40 PM

It does not work for me with CS3, Prospect2K, and the NVIDIA 162 drivers on an 8800GTX in XP32.