DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Will CS3 handle XDcamHD files? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/109203-will-cs3-handle-xdcamhd-files.html)

Greg Patch November 30th, 2007 01:09 PM

Will CS3 handle XDcamHD files?

Would I be able to run CS3 buy itself and be able to drag and drop XDCam HD files to a timeline using the firewire? I also have an AJA Xena LHe card with SDI inputs but I'd like to be able to use the file transfer method? Anyone know?

Marty Baggen November 30th, 2007 01:18 PM

I believe Firewire handles only HDV.

Greg Patch November 30th, 2007 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Baggen (Post 784893)
I believe Firewire handles only HDV.

I should able to transfer these files to a hard drive on my machine through FW, what I'm asking is if I will be able to edit XDcam HD files in a CS3 project or will I need some other piece of software to convert these. Adobe says that it will handle P2 natively which is labled as a MXF file as does XDcam HD.

Marty Baggen November 30th, 2007 02:26 PM

So far as I know, Firewire and XD HD files are mutually exclusive... in any event, that is only the transfer method. If the Firewire pipeline can be used for transferring non-HDV camera data, that is something that I am unfamiliar with.... but an interesting question.

With C3 being able to handle XDcam natively, I have seen posts on this board, the EX forum, and Adobe's site that suggest that files from the EX can be brought into C3. There is a conversion utility that ships with the camera that places the raw MP4 files in an MXF wrapper. I presume the rest of the Cinealta line would be the same, but I don't know.

It's definitely a multi step process, but I think the short answer to your question is "yes".

Search the boards, because there are links to download actual clips so that you can give it a try on your system.

Mike McCarthy November 30th, 2007 02:35 PM

I have heard that new new XDCam EX .mp4 files can be read natively by Premiere. The standard MXFs from XDCam cannot, UNLESS you have a Matrox AXIO, in which case they will work fine natively. You can transfer the full HD quality over Firewire in FAM mode, usually faster than realtime.

You could use your LHe card to capture via SDI from the camera, but you lose the native XD compression. With a Xena LHe card you should look at the Cineform solution. It allows you to convert the MXFs to Cineform AVIs, which are easier to deal with, and allows realtime previews at 10bit from the Premiere timeline through your LHe card. You can also use the LHe to encode Cineform version in realtime via SDI from your camera if desired.

You never specified if you were dealing with the new EX format, but if not, native Premiere-NO, Cineform w/Xena-1or2 step process (capture via SDI or convert MXF to AVI), Matrox-1 step process (Drag annd drop MXF).

Marty Baggen November 30th, 2007 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike McCarthy (Post 784937)
I have heard that new new XDCam EX .mp4 files can be read natively by Premiere. The standard MXFs from XDCam cannot, UNLESS you have a Matrox AXIO, in which case they will work fine natively. You can transfer the full HD quality over Firewire in FAM mode, usually faster than realtime.

Mike... that's nice bit of knowledge, thanks. And my apologies to Greg for questioning your methods.

Greg Patch November 30th, 2007 02:57 PM

"You never specified if you were dealing with the new EX format, but if not, native Premiere-NO, Cineform w/Xena-1or2 step process (capture via SDI or convert MXF to AVI), Matrox-1 step process (Drag annd drop MXF)."

Not the EX format, I'll be using XDCam HD from a PDW-350

So it sounds like Cineform will be my best bet right now...Thanks

Mike McCarthy November 30th, 2007 03:08 PM

If you already have a Xena LHe card, then Cineform makes a lot of sense.

Greg Boston December 1st, 2007 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Patch (Post 784898)
I should able to transfer these files to a hard drive on my machine through FW, what I'm asking is if I will be able to edit XDcam HD files in a CS3 project or will I need some other piece of software to convert these. Adobe says that it will handle P2 natively which is labled as a MXF file as does XDcam HD.

The irony is that MXF stands for Media eXchange Format and is supposed to be a common standard. In reality it isn't. The MXF files generated by Panasonic P2 and those from Sony XDCAM are not the same.

The MXF format is really just a container which includes audio, video and metadata. The video portion of the XDCAM HD file will be in the XDCAM HD codec which I'm not sure if CS3 can handle. I know Premiere Pro 2 doesn't.

-gb-