DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Premiere pro out of memory? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/109247-premiere-pro-out-memory.html)

Tim Bickford November 30th, 2007 10:33 PM

Premiere pro out of memory?

I'm working on a Premiere Pro CS3 project. I keep getting the following message (Premiere pro out of memory. To maximize available memory, set the redering optimization preference to "Memory")

I googled the message and found the others have had issues with this too. I did not have any problems until I started using stills in my timeline. The stills are rather large. I probarly should down res them. However, I'm doing a lot of zooming.

Average Picture (JPEG)
Image Size: 3872 x 2592
Pixel Depth: 3872
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0 (1.2)

When I removed the stills from the timeline I had no problem. I am also utilizing maximum bit depth.

CPU = Dual Core 3.20GHz , 2.0G Ram with 80G of hard drive space available.

Any ideas?

Josh Chesarek November 30th, 2007 10:56 PM

Did you set the preference to Memory like it said? I had the issue once but switching the preference as directed has stopped it from happening again for me.

Tim Bickford December 1st, 2007 08:45 AM

Josh-

Yes I did. Thanks.... Still have the same problem. I think my stills are too large?

Thanks again!

Lloyd Coleman December 1st, 2007 10:22 AM

It you cut the size of the stills in half, from 3872 px wide to 1936 px wide, you will make each file 1/4 the size it is now. This should make the program be more responsive all around.

I work with stills a lot in Premiere and find that rescaling in a photo editing program like Photoshop does a better job (fewer artifacts, etc) than letting Premiere do it for me. Premiere also runs better all around (we used to have a problem with Premiere and black or green frames when there were too many or too large of pictures in the timeline, although I havent seen it in PPro 3).

Cutting your picture size in half will still allow you to zoom about 200%, depending on the project you are working on (SD or HD).

Another problem with stills that are too high in resolution is that the edges of objects in the pictures, (especially sharp edges like the tree leaves, branches, fences, etc,) cannot be resolved by the resolution of television. As you move or zoom on these pictures the edges will jump from one scan line to the next and cause a lot of flicker. Reducing the resolution the the pictures 'softens' these edges and reduces a lot of the flicker.

Marty Baggen December 1st, 2007 10:29 AM

Tim,

what happens if you do your still manipulations in After Effects and import the compositions into your Premiere timeline via Bridge?

You could also render out from After Effects to the format of choice, and drop that into your timeline as well.

Tim Bickford December 1st, 2007 12:59 PM

Lloyd,

You hit it right on the head! Thank YOU!

I cut the size of the photos in half with photo shop. I did an experiment with the full res (TEST-1) and the half res (TEST-2). The half res did the trick. Also - I never could figure out why some of my stills flickered. Thanks for the explanation.

I appreciate it!