Making Magic Bullet Looks work in CS3 - Please Help!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 15th, 2007, 02:39 AM   #1
Major Player

Making Magic Bullet Looks work in CS3 - Please Help!!!

Hello,

I just purchased Magic Bullet Looks and was excited as heck to get to test it.

I downloaded a trial of Premiere CS3 and installed it and then installed Magic Bullet Looks.

CS3 sees the effects but when I apply the "Looks" effect to a clip and then click "Edit" it opens the "Looks" standalone interface but it does not show a preview of my clip - just a grey screen. I've attached a screenshot below. What is the cause of this and does anyone know how to fix it? Is it possible that it's because I'm using a trial version of CS3?
Attached Thumbnails
Making Magic Bullet Looks work in CS3 - Please Help!!!-looks.jpg  
Old December 15th, 2007, 02:46 AM   #2
Major Player

Im running Premiere CS3 with Magic Bullet for Editors installed. I didnt know if it would work as it was made for prem 2.0. While im still testing it, so far its worked. I did have a crash on a rather large project, but im not sure if it has anything to do with magic bullet. It could be that you have the trial version.
Old December 15th, 2007, 04:30 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Persall View Post
...It could be that you have the trial version.
I don't think it is, now that I think about it, because I have trailed Magic Bullet Looks before with a trial of CS3... so I'm just confused.

Anyone know a solution?
Old December 15th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

It may be a video overlay problem....

what video card are you using...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
It may be a video overlay problem....

what video card are you using...
I have two, for four monitors: Nvidia 7800 and 8600.

I'd suggest you could be right given the 8 series has full screen video overlay disabled (which I wasn't using anyway), but Red Giant's Magic Bullet Looks FAQ page lists the 8800 as a recommended card for Looks, so I'm confused.

EDIT: Just disabled the 8600 and tried it with a single monitor out of the 7800 and it still failed. Just a grey screen. Everything else about it seems to be working fine though.

This is annoying.

EDIT: I have a feeling that it is just opening the standalone interface without linking it to CS3. The screenshot attached shows that down the bottom right there is no "OK" button to return the look to any host application. It should definitely be there!!
Attached Thumbnails
Making Magic Bullet Looks work in CS3 - Please Help!!!-looks2.jpg  

Last edited by John Hewat; December 15th, 2007 at 10:28 PM.
John Hewat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

You say you had Magic Bullet Editors working with Premiere CS3? I recently tried installing it with CS3 and the effects don't seem to show up in the effects palette.
Rob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Johnson View Post
You say you had Magic Bullet Editors working with Premiere CS3? I recently tried installing it with CS3 and the effects don't seem to show up in the effects palette.
No, I had the trial version of Magic Bullet Looks and it worked fine but since I bought it I've had no luck.

Looks is the updated version I believe.
Old December 19th, 2007, 06:42 AM   #8
Major Player

When I click on "Video Effect" the attached screenshot is what I get.

Interestingly, all of the presets for "Misfire" are listed under Misfire but none of the presets for "Looks" are listed - but I don't know if they're supposed to be.

I don't think they are, because I got this running on my sister's laptop with exactly the same software - trial of CS3, trial of Prospect HD & purchased Magic Bullet Looks and it worked like a charm.

On my PC though... still no good...
Attached Thumbnails
Making Magic Bullet Looks work in CS3 - Please Help!!!-looks-3.jpg  
Old December 19th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #9
Major Player

Look for the MB Looks in a different folder under effects, they are Presets not Filters.

The Magic Bullet Looks filter that is in there with the Misfire stuffs is all that controls the whole gizmo! The rest are presaved custom presets that are in a folder in effects somewheres :)

Carl
Old December 19th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Middleton View Post
Look for the MB Looks in a different folder under effects, they are Presets not Filters.

The Magic Bullet Looks filter that is in there with the Misfire stuffs is all that controls the whole gizmo! The rest are presaved custom presets that are in a folder in effects somewheres :)

Carl
Really?

I just looked through every folder and found nothing. I'm not sure if you're supposed to be able to access the presets from the CS3 effects panel though, rather you simply apply the "Looks" effect and then click "Edit" and then manipulate it in the standalone interface and select your preset in there... I think...
Old December 19th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #11
Major Player

I've only used it with PPro2.0 so I cannot really say as far as CS3; but the way it works with 2.0 is there are a bunch of presets for the looks effect (if that is what you are looking for) as a separate folder under effects. Has the same icon as your Presets folder above it.

It's a top level folder, such as Presets, Looks Presets, Video Effects, Video Transitions, etc. I wish I could help further, but I haven't used CS3 + MBL. Sorry!

C
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:57 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewat View Post
No, I had the trial version of Magic Bullet Looks and it worked fine but since I bought it I've had no luck.
Odd that the trial version works and yet the retail version of Looks does not. My only method for dealing with the Editors issue up till now has been to export footage back and forth between Pro 2 and CS3... a pain but it works. Will probably be looking into MBL soon. Hopefully the retail version will work.
Old December 19th, 2007, 02:03 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewat View Post
Interestingly, all of the presets for "Misfire" are listed under Misfire but none of the presets for "Looks" are listed - but I don't know if they're supposed to be.
When you apply "Looks" to the clip, isn't it supposed to open a separate UI that contains all your different look presets and tweeking controls? I think that's how Looks differs from Editors from what I've read.
Old December 19th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Johnson View Post
When you apply "Looks" to the clip, isn't it supposed to open a separate UI that contains all your different look presets and tweeking controls? I think that's how Looks differs from Editors from what I've read.
Correct - and it does, but what opens is the screenshot attached in post # 5 of this thread - which does not give me a preview still of the clip I'm editing and has no "OK" button in the bottom right for export back into CS3.

I'm very frustrated. I have contacted Reg Giant support but have heard nothing for almost a week.
Old December 20th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Indeed. Now I'm a little leary of purchasing Looks for CS3. I'd download and test the trial version to compare notes but, as you've already said, THAT worked. I'd stay on Red Giant though. If I do decide to purchase Looks I'll check back with this thread ASAP and let you know if it does the same for me.
Rob Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite