Combining/importing projects with edit points intact at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 16th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Combining/importing projects with edit points intact

I've been working on a large project in Premiere Pro 1.5, and split it into 3 parts. Now I would like to combine the three projects into one timeline and continue editing it that way, but every time I try to import a project from one to another, it turns it into one seamless clip with no edit points. Is there a way to do this? It seems like a useful thing to be able to do, as there are sections of one project that need to be shifted to other projects.

www.poagao.com
Tao-ming Lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #2
Major Player

Import one .prproj file into the other. Then open both sequences, and copy and paste the contents of one timeline to the other.
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for replying. The problem is, when I open the imported sequence, it appears as one big clip with no editable clips inside it.

www.poagao.com

Last edited by Tao-ming Lin; December 17th, 2007 at 08:57 AM.
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #4
Major Player

That should only happen if you nest the imported sequence into the importing sequences. If you open the imported sequence, it should all be there, exactly as it was. Then you cut and paste. You can't drag the sequence from the project window into the timeline, that will nest it.
Old December 17th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Oh, I see, I double click on the sequence rather than dragging it. Thanks!

www.poagao.com
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:53 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Ok, now if I want to export the whole movie from this setup, can I do it without re-integrating the sequences?

www.poagao.com
Old May 24th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I know the above is a stupid question, but I can't seem to find a solid answer in Adobe's "help" section. Anyone?

www.poagao.com
Old May 25th, 2008, 07:01 PM   #8
Trustee

You can not export all of the sequences as one movie unless you nest them all together. Is that what you are asking?
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I guess so. Right now I have the project split up into four sequences, the tabs of which are over the timeline. So I need to create another sequence and import the four sequences into that sequence (nesting) and then export that? I really just want to change as little as possible, just export it for some people to look at and then continue editing.

www.poagao.com
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #10
Major Player

Yes, import the four Premiere Projects into a new one, create new sequence and then drag the imported sequences into your new one.

If you want to edit these nested sequences, doubleclick them with Alt key, or find your keyboard shortcut for "Reveal nested sequence".

Or alternatively, export each of your sequences as a separate video file and then just import these 4 AVIs (or whatever you export into) and put them into a new sequence. As you need this for a preview, you needn`t worry about rerendering and loss of visual quality.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 12:56 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Cool, so I can keep on editing the nested sequences within the big overall sequence, and the edits will show up within the whole thing? That's good news, as I can export it at any time without having to combine everything.

www.poagao.com
Old May 26th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #12
Major Player

Yes, that`s exactly the way it is. It can get a little slower (switching to and fro sequences), but if it`s SD you`re editing, you won`t notice a difference.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite