Adobe - commercial & education pricing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 24th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Adobe - commercial & education pricing

I use a couple of Adobe products and have upgraded from version to version over the years, but note that my 16 year old at college can get some of the products I don't have - but might be interested in very cheap compared with the upgrade price I have to pay. He satisfies all the rules, and can provide the paperwork they need. Is there any disadvantage in him buying the student products, rather than the full price versions. Obviously it would be on his laptop, not my video machines, but reading the rules, I can't find anything that says the actual products are different?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 01:22 PM   #2
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

As long as he qualifies and he has all teh proper paperwork, it is a tremendous savings.

It is the same software. same exact features. The terms of use say that he will only use it for educational purposes. So if he makes a shrt film that gets picked up by Hollywood you will have to upgrade him to the commercial version.

We have a division dedicated to student, academic and government purchases http://www.specialtyvideosupply.com/

Gary
Old December 24th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Sounds a good deal then - I'll get him to sort it out!

thanks
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 12:09 PM   #4
New Boot

No Limits!

I'm a student who might be getting the same thing shortly. I've done considerable research into this, and as far as I've learned, you are able to use academic versions of CS3 for business purposes, as long as they were purchased legally by a student and used by that student. Don't take my word as law, but if you call up some customer support line they'll probably give you the straight truth. But I know that at least in Britain, if not over in America, that's how it is, and I'm moderately sure that it's that way in America, too.
Daniel Lippman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

From what I understand of Adobe user license you can use an educational license commercially. I will have to find the link on adobeforums discussing this.
Old January 21st, 2008, 01:15 PM   #6
Trustee

If you carefully review the ADOBE Software Licence Agreement, you will find that only tryout software is restricted to non-commercial uses, not the educational versions.

It is a common misconception that education licenses are restricted. They are only restricted in that you must qualify and they can't be sold or transferred.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite