Trouble with 24P at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 10th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Trouble with 24P

Folks,

I have 24P 1920x1080 footage that plays back in Windows Media Player, but in Premiere it is out of sync.

This footage was captured using a Canon HV20 in 24P mode, through a Blackmagic Intensity card. It then had a 3:2 pulldown down in After Effects and saved as Blackmagic Mjpeg file.

It looks amazing and is in sync when played in Windows Media Player, but in Premiere, it is out of sync.

There is no BlackMagic preset for this format so, I created a custom 1920x1080 24P project.

Blackmagic has no idea what is wrong as they have never tried editing at 1920x1080 24P, and they think I need to call Adobe. We all know that won't get anywhere.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Sterling
Old January 10th, 2008, 07:36 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Are you saying it is out of sync rending out of Premiere, or is it just in Preview ? Which version of Premiere ?
Old January 10th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Good question.

It's out of sync in the preview monitor, and enought o make it difficult to edit. I hadn't thought to render it out to see the results.

-Sterling
Old January 10th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #4
Inner Circle

If you are previewing at max rez and maz size, you may be seeing Premiere struggling with the synching it all for preview preview in real time. You didn't say which version of Premiere you are running. In Pro 2 I can select draft mode in the preview monitor output selector located on the preview monitor window, third Icon to the right of the toggle controls.
Old January 10th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm using CS3, and I'm on an 8 core system with 10 drives at RAID 50. This is enough to support two streams of uncompressed 10bit HD footage.

It should be working. I can't remember what gfx card is in there, but it's fast enough.
Old January 11th, 2008, 11:41 AM   #6
Regular Crew

update:

I don't know how I missed this, but Blackmagic DOES have a 1920x1080 23.9966PsF preset, but my footage still plays out of sync in the preview window.

However, I did render out a clip, and it played back in sync, in Wnidows Media Player, so the problem is just a lag of some sort in the Premiere Preview window.

Thoughts?

-Sterling
Old January 11th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #7
Regular Crew

one more thing,

I did try Draft mode for the preview window, but it didn't make a lick of difference.

-Sterling
Old January 11th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #8
Major Player

You should be editing at 23.976 in Premiere. The Intensity may not support that frame rate, but their professional level products obviously do. Try Native Premiere Desktop mode at that resolution and frame rate.
Old January 12th, 2008, 12:12 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Similar findings - no 1080P for Premiere

Hello,

Finally I have someone to help me troubleshoot this. I have been capturing 24p footage with my HV20 and my Intensity Pro. I also reverse the pulldown in After Effects (and have tried vDub successfully as well). I am also playing off of a very fast RAID though I try uncompressed footage in addition to MJPEG. I am using a Quadro FX1500. I have tried timelines in Vegas and Premiere and have determined the following:

In Desktop mode the Premiere timeline is incapable of playing back true 1080 23.976 (aka 24p) footage. All attempts have been riddled with either dropped frames or refresh errors (horizontal line artifacts).

The Vegas timeline can play back 1080p footage if the footage is encoded as Sony YUV. It does not look as good on the desktop preview as it does through windows media player.

The major question: Can anyone confirm flawless 1080/24p playback in either NLE? Does anyone know the correct codec in order to have footage not produce a red render line when editing in Desktop mode?

I have given up on monitoring through the Intensity card due to its inability to render the RGB colorspace. It is a YUV card and only handles 16-235. I have yet to see an output from the Intensity card (from an editing timeline) that isn't way too contrasty.

I have invested a lot of time and resources into building a true 1080/24p all digital workflow and it seems like the non-Avid PC picture editorial programs are the weakest link. I would hate to drop $5k on a new Mac but it's looking like I may have to. Please save me from that.

Thanks,
Robert
Robert Kennedy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite