Taking a clip into AE and back, easiest way? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 24th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #1
Major Player

Taking a clip into AE and back, easiest way?

I have alot of footage in a PPro CS3 file, 1 clip (which is shortened by 45 seconds from its original) needs to have the Wiggler in AE applied to it. Whats the easiest way to do that? Do I need to just open the whole 50 second clip in AE? Or export with premiere just that piece? Then open it in AE? Or is there a way to send it through Bridge? I`m not sure how bridge works. Any help would be great.
Old January 25th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I have no idea... ;-P

What I have been doing is probably the hard way:
I open AE, make a comp for the clip, apply the effect, then a few options present themselves:
One is to render the effects-clip and then either import that into my Premiere timeline,
or 'replace' the original clip with the new one.
The other option is to use Premiere's File->"dynamic link" function to import the AE file
and cut that into the timeline over the original clip.

If there's a best or fastest way, I'd also like to know...
Andrew J Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #3
Major Player

If (your source clip is relatively large, like a full tape capture)
{Export the shortened segment and import to AE}
else{Import the full source clip to AE}
Add to a comp whose size matches the export you want
Make changes
if(you expect future revisions)
{Import it to Premiere via Dynamic Link}
else{Render it and import the new revised file to Premiere}

#Yeah, so I have been doing some programming recently...
Old January 25th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McCarthy View Post
If ... else ... #
That made my day. Sadly, I can read that easier than a paragraph of text. =D
Old January 25th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #5
Major Player

haha nice. Ok just wanted to make sure. There is just always all this talk about how closely integrated the Adobe products are, so I figured there would be a way to do it that was simpler...like 'open this clip in AE' menu or something, that way editing it in AE would auto-update in Premiere... like when you edit sound in Soundbooth.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 04:31 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I am completely new to Adobe but am learning fast. I am experiencint this problem in a similar fashoion.

I have a large clipthat I'm trying to take into the stabilizer function of AE. The part to be stabilized is only 5 seconds or so of a 90 second clip, but it takes the whole clip into AE, not just the part in the timeline...
But I fix the 5 second part in AE, but it then takes the full clip back into PP ... the fix just doesn't work right.
Is there a way to just import a clip into AE just within the in and out points selected in PP?

(Nathan, hope this isn't hijacking your clip..)
Will
Bill Zens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 09:03 PM   #7
Trustee

The more I use Dynamic Link, the easier it gets. Since I deal with mostly short (<1 min.) clips, it's not difficult.

The big benefit IMO is that if you want to make a change to the linked clip later, you don't have to go through the whole change/render/import mambo that would be required without it.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:38 AM   #8
Major Player

i found if you change the name of something in the AE project thats linked, it breaks rendering anything contained in the AE file. The dynamic linking seems very weak to me, not very dynamic at all.
Old February 4th, 2008, 02:40 AM   #9
Major Player

I'm also not sold on dynamic link. Premiere crashes with out of memory errors, or refuses to open any projects that are even slightly complicated.

Personally, I select the clips I want to edit in AE and then hit "copy". In a new AE composition I hit "paste". All the in and out points, transparency and everything else is recognized.
When finished in AE I just export that comp as a file, import it into premiere, and disable the original clips on the timeline.

It's simple and it works.
Brian Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Nathan

I second Brain Parker's way of doing things. It is easy and if you only want to correct one clip really quick then this is the best way to do it.

Now if you have a multilayered Comp then the Dynamic link works well on a system with the memory to handle it. I use the Dynamic link for my openings and closings all the time. I have never had any problems with it losing a link. It does seem to slow way down on any kind of HDV or HD Timelines. But I am using an old dual core AMD machine. So higher end machines and lots of ram would not have any problems.

Now if you are using Adobe on Leopard that is another game. No Patch yet for Leopard for the Adobe packages.
Matthew Pugerude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #11
Trustee

Firstly, changing the name of something in one application and expecting a second application to know about it is a recipe for folly. Names are the only way that both applications can identify the file. Resist the temptation to change them.

Second, Dynamic Link is not all-singing, all-dancing, but for simple tasks it works well. I have not found any performance issues on my system (Athon 64 Dual Core 3.0GHz) save unrendered playback of the embedded comp, but I'd expect that.

I'm still a fan of DL for simple tasks. But I'd prefer that Adobe would implement a function similar to the "Open in Audition" capability they have for audio.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Yeah I agree with Tripp once again... Dynamic link works for me for simple tasks like creating lower 3rds or title cards but the "open in audition" or FCP's method of (send to Color, etc) would be nice.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite