DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Is 8gb RAM worth it? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/113672-8gb-ram-worth.html)

Rafael Lopes January 31st, 2008 04:44 PM

Is 8gb RAM worth it?

Hi guys,

My pc is falling apart and I'm looking into buying a new one. I'm sure about it being a quad and I was about to buy one with 4gb ram when I saw another one with 8gb ram for 500$ more. I use premiere cs3 and after effects cs3...will they really benefit from all of this or will it be overkill?

John Miller January 31st, 2008 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes (Post 817869)
Hi guys,

My pc is falling apart and I'm looking into buying a new one. I'm sure about it being a quad and I was about to buy one with 4gb ram when I saw another one with 8gb ram for 500$ more. I use premiere cs3 and after effects cs3...will they really benefit from all of this or will it be overkill?

You won't get any benefit.

You have to be using 64-bit Windows AND 64-bit Premiere which doesn't exist(!)

Indeed, you won't really benefit from 4GB since Windows only sees about 3.2GB. Some PC vendors have starting shipping PCs with 3GB instead of 2 or 4GB.

Marco Wagner January 31st, 2008 05:03 PM

Yeah I have 3GB in my system, at first I had 4GB, but windows only addressed 3.25GB.

Brian Brown January 31st, 2008 10:48 PM

I have 8GB in my quad-core Vista 64-bit PC and it works great with the CS3 Suite. After Effects can take up to 4GB by itself (each processor gets it's own 32-bit process and a gig of RAM). PPro never uses much more than a gig or 1.5GB. And that still leaves plenty of RAM for the OS, Photoshop, Encore, etc.

YMMV, but I sure wouldn't want to go back to a 32-bit OS and 3GB.

HTH,
Brian Brown
BrownCow Productions

Rafael Lopes February 1st, 2008 12:26 AM

That is a valid point. Maybe neither premiere of after effects will use the full 8gb, but even if they only use 4 or 3gb this would mean I could still be working with other applications while I'm exporting a project...which is good...I'm just not so sure if it's "500$ worth it good".

Brian Brown February 1st, 2008 12:59 AM

You can put the 4GB of RAM in yourself for a LOT less than $500. More like less than $100, at least here in the States. RAM is shockingly cheap at the moment.

Regards,
Brian

John Miller February 1st, 2008 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes (Post 818115)
That is a valid point. Maybe neither premiere of after effects will use the full 8gb, but even if they only use 4 or 3gb this would mean I could still be working with other applications while I'm exporting a project...which is good...I'm just not so sure if it's "500$ worth it good".

Brian makes an excellent point. For multitasking with memory-greedy applications, the extra RAM is clearly a benefit.

But you must be running 64-bit Windows. In turn, you must be certain that all your hardware has the necessary 64-bit drivers. >3GB on 32-bit Windows is pointless.

If you only run Premiere by itself at any given time, the benefits will not be as great.

Josh Chesarek February 1st, 2008 08:42 AM

Just to chime in on the multi use bit. I use CS3 Premiere, Photoshop and Encore daily and almost always have them all open at the same time as I render and work on Menus for my sports DVDs. Runs like a champ on Vista 64 Ultimate with a Intel Quad Core Q6600 with 4GB of Ram :) The added ram makes switching between the apps easy and all of the programs run as if they were the only thing running :)