Is 8gb RAM worth it? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 31st, 2008, 04:44 PM   #1
Trustee

Is 8gb RAM worth it?

Hi guys,

My pc is falling apart and I'm looking into buying a new one. I'm sure about it being a quad and I was about to buy one with 4gb ram when I saw another one with 8gb ram for 500$ more. I use premiere cs3 and after effects cs3...will they really benefit from all of this or will it be overkill?
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 04:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes View Post
Hi guys,

My pc is falling apart and I'm looking into buying a new one. I'm sure about it being a quad and I was about to buy one with 4gb ram when I saw another one with 8gb ram for 500$ more. I use premiere cs3 and after effects cs3...will they really benefit from all of this or will it be overkill?
You won't get any benefit.

You have to be using 64-bit Windows AND 64-bit Premiere which doesn't exist(!)

Indeed, you won't really benefit from 4GB since Windows only sees about 3.2GB. Some PC vendors have starting shipping PCs with 3GB instead of 2 or 4GB.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 05:03 PM   #3
Trustee

Yeah I have 3GB in my system, at first I had 4GB, but windows only addressed 3.25GB.
Old January 31st, 2008, 10:48 PM   #4
Major Player

I have 8GB in my quad-core Vista 64-bit PC and it works great with the CS3 Suite. After Effects can take up to 4GB by itself (each processor gets it's own 32-bit process and a gig of RAM). PPro never uses much more than a gig or 1.5GB. And that still leaves plenty of RAM for the OS, Photoshop, Encore, etc.

YMMV, but I sure wouldn't want to go back to a 32-bit OS and 3GB.

HTH,
Brian Brown
BrownCow Productions
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 12:26 AM   #5
Trustee

That is a valid point. Maybe neither premiere of after effects will use the full 8gb, but even if they only use 4 or 3gb this would mean I could still be working with other applications while I'm exporting a project...which is good...I'm just not so sure if it's "500$ worth it good".
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 12:59 AM   #6
Major Player

You can put the 4GB of RAM in yourself for a LOT less than $500. More like less than $100, at least here in the States. RAM is shockingly cheap at the moment.

Regards,
Brian
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 08:01 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes View Post
That is a valid point. Maybe neither premiere of after effects will use the full 8gb, but even if they only use 4 or 3gb this would mean I could still be working with other applications while I'm exporting a project...which is good...I'm just not so sure if it's "500$ worth it good".
Brian makes an excellent point. For multitasking with memory-greedy applications, the extra RAM is clearly a benefit.

But you must be running 64-bit Windows. In turn, you must be certain that all your hardware has the necessary 64-bit drivers. >3GB on 32-bit Windows is pointless.

If you only run Premiere by itself at any given time, the benefits will not be as great.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 08:42 AM   #8
Major Player

Just to chime in on the multi use bit. I use CS3 Premiere, Photoshop and Encore daily and almost always have them all open at the same time as I render and work on Menus for my sports DVDs. Runs like a champ on Vista 64 Ultimate with a Intel Quad Core Q6600 with 4GB of Ram :) The added ram makes switching between the apps easy and all of the programs run as if they were the only thing running :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite