DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   PPro 1.5 and Windows Vista (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/114165-ppro-1-5-windows-vista.html)

Dennis Stevens February 6th, 2008 08:49 PM

PPro 1.5 and Windows Vista

A friend installed PPro 1.5 on a new machine running Windows Vista. When she goes to launch PPro, it fails to launch- apparently there's no error message, the app doesn't even come up. I haven't seen this happen, so I don't have any description beyond that.

The first thing we thought of was to upgrade to the latest version, CS3.

I know that's not a lot of info to go on, but would folks concur that's a reasonable thing to try?

John Miller February 6th, 2008 09:01 PM

Have you tried the usual suspects - "Run as administrator..." or run in XP compatibility mode?

Dennis Stevens February 7th, 2008 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Miller (Post 821695)
Have you tried the usual suspects - "Run as administrator..." or run in XP compatibility mode?

I have not! Thanks, we'll try that.

Noa Put February 7th, 2008 08:19 AM

All versions earlier then CS3 will not function properly on Vista, only version CS3 is certified to work on Vista.

You might get it to work trough the compatibility mode but I wouldn't consider handling important projects in that way. The only option you have is install windows xp or upgrade to CS3.

Paul R Johnson February 7th, 2008 10:11 AM

Just read this on my Vista Basic Laptop - which has PP2 running quite happily on it - didn't know there was supposed to be a problem

Noa Put February 7th, 2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson (Post 821989)
Just read this on my Vista Basic Laptop - which has PP2 running quite happily on it - didn't know there was supposed to be a problem

below an extract from adobe's "How adobe products support windows vista"

"Q. Does Adobe support Adobe Production Studio on Windows Vista?
A. Adobe Production Studio was released a year before Windows Vista became publicly available and is not recommended for use on this new operating system. While some of its components, including Adobe After Effects 7.x, Adobe Premiere Pro 2.x, Adobe Audition 2.0, Adobe Illustrator CS2, and Adobe Photoshop CS2, install and run on Windows Vista
Adobe Products and Windows Vista/page with only minor known issues, other key components such as Adobe Encore DVD 2.x have more significant issues installing and running as expected"

I have read quite some complaints on different forums about "older" versions of premiere not running stable on Vista, because Adobe doesn't recommend it and says it runs with "minor" issues you should upgrade to cs3 if you are working for clients f.i.
If it's just for your hobby and if it works most of the time, then it's not such a big deal I guess.