video for Greece - SECAM? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 7th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

video for Greece - SECAM?

I have a client that would like a copy of their wedding video for relatives in Greece. I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that Greece uses SECAM video (as opposed to PAL/NTSC). If this is so, does anyone know if I can create a DVD using Encore that will play in Greece? Any info is appreciated.

-Don B.
Old February 7th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Wrong!

Quote from an e-mail received yesterday from Themis Gyparis, a member of this forum: "our broadcast standard in Greece is PAL". Greece was once on Secam, but they dropped it together with all of the Eastern Europen (former communist) countries and switched to PAL.

See also http://www.kropla.com/tv.htm
Old February 7th, 2008, 03:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info!

I suppose I can figure this out when I get home, but is it so easy as simply choosing PAL when I create a project? That will result in a DVD that will play in Greece?
Old February 7th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Start a PAL project, and Encore will re-encode your footage - the result, however, will not be super duper... try converting to PAL while still in a higher resolution format (AVI) in some other software. Canopus Procoder is fairly good at it, you can download a trial version good for 30 days.
Old February 7th, 2008, 11:51 PM   #5
Major Player

I've sent many of my final products to Europe...Nobody had a problem with playback on their settop DVD players...Especially newer ones.

Playback issues usually happen when the North American players receive PAL discs, but not the other way around.

Personally, i'd send them the created package.
I would shutter to think of re-rendering the whole project for Uncle Joe in Greece...
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #6
Inner Circle

This is what I would do: send both an original NTSC and a trancoded PAL DVD, just to be on the safe side. This way, Uncle Joe will be also able to watch his niece (?) - just tell him that the PAL version might be a little jerky/fuzzy compared to the original NTSC.

While most players won't care what you feed them, some will... I have 4 DVD players in my house, all of them play PAL without fuss.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite