DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Premiere CS3 = No "Save Your Project" on crash? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/115742-premiere-cs3-no-save-your-project-crash.html)

Kevin Janisch February 25th, 2008 06:26 PM

Premiere CS3 = No "Save Your Project" on crash?

Premiere Pro 2 always prompted me to "Save My Project" on an application crash with maybe 1-2 exceptions. I just started using CS3 and it has crashed on my 3-4 times and each time there was no safety net "Save Your Project" dialogue box or recovery project. Anybody else experiencing this? I just lost 45 minutes of work.

Jeff Lower February 25th, 2008 08:36 PM

I've been using CS3 pro for a few months now and I had my first crash last night. There were no options or prompts to "save my project."

Jiri Fiala February 25th, 2008 09:01 PM

It depends on what kind of crash it is... If it's some kind of expected error, CS3 WILL give you chance to save your work (it did for me anyway). If the crash occurs due to bad RAM or something like that, no amount of programming will save you from losing your work...

Kevin Janisch February 26th, 2008 09:51 PM

With Premiere Pro 2, of all of the crashes (and there were many), there were only 2-5 times it didn't save my project. Now with CS3, it has crashed on my 4 times in 3 days and no recovery project on any of them. Same machine.

Jiri Fiala February 27th, 2008 11:33 AM

Premiere is inherently unstable, Adobe should really get their act together... A company as huge as Adobe shoudln't get away with this, especially when Premiere is almost the most expensive NLE on market.

Kevin Janisch March 3rd, 2008 12:51 PM

Yeah, at least with PrPro 2 it gave you an opportunity to save your work consistently as I was getting 2-4 crashes a night when I was working with a monster of a project. Decided to give Vegas 8 a fair shake after seeing Premiere CS3's shameful performance on a Core2Duo. It is amazing what Vegas can do and still maintain playback compared to PrPro 2 and CS3. I've got 5 Color Correction filters on a clip in Vegas and it still plays back at 29.97. Add a 6th which that is Magic Bullet and the frame rate drops but still watchable to preview your changes. With the same clip in Premiere, I'm in 2 effects deep and it already switches to draft mode and stutters, add a 3rd and it is done. Forget about Magic Bullet. Sorry guys, 10 year user of Premiere, released 2 retail ready DVDs that have sold quite well that were cut with Premiere, but I can't deny the instability and terrible performance. Been using Vegas 8 for 1 week and I just feel more productive and this is after I got my work to buy me CS3 Production Premium Suite. As Jiri stated, Adobe has to fix the issues with instability, and I say they have to really do something about the performance especially after seeing Vegas in action with the same clips. Not trying to start a war but just frustrated to have to learn another app bc the one that I have mastered is unstable and performs worse with each new version.

Josh Chesarek March 3rd, 2008 03:35 PM

I haven't had crashing issues my self but I have set it to auto save every few minutes I even think it had an option to keep multiple auto saves as well.

Kevin Janisch March 3rd, 2008 03:57 PM

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the suggestion. I too originally had autosave enabled but found it to interrupt my workflow as it would momentarily take the app focus away so preferred to auto-save myself. I have pretty good habits with this, but am just beside myself that CS3 hasn't recovered my projects, has super poor performance, and costed my employer $2000+ for the suite and runs like a dog on my Core2Duo.

Another complaint is CC or any type of image correction in PPro. It takes Premiere like half a second to a full second to generate the preview with just one filter and this is without the video playing. Vegas is instantaneous and really keeps up with me. I know all about integration with AE as my last retail DVD I did extensive integration in my workflow, edit in PrPro, Color Correct in AE with Color Finesse, Sound in Audition, finish in Encore and to be fair, when integration works and is necessary for huge projects, it is glorious!!! But the central hub of the suite needs to be optimized and made more efficient as anybody should be able to start and finish a project within Premiere for more basic projects, including CC. On my smaller projects (home videos), I'd rather not CC at all than go to AE. Premiere's color correction tools are good, but need optimizing in previewing while playing and not. I should not have to upgrade to a quadcore machine to get Vegas like performance on my current core2duo with Premiere. It just doesn't make sense why Sony (Sonic Foundry) can get this performance but Adobe cannot other than they just aren't trying. I just find it irresponsible on Adobe's part to release software that runs slower and more inefficient than prior versions. Okay, rant over.

Kevin

Jiri Fiala March 3rd, 2008 06:04 PM

Kevin, you should go to

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/...?name=wishform

and type up your rants and requests. That's the only way Adobe can spot our grievances. I am there all the time :o) Premiere really needs to get better, it's a shameful product amongst such masterpieces like After Effects and Photoshop.

Kevin Janisch March 3rd, 2008 08:44 PM

Hi Jiri,

Thanks for the link. I've submitted bug reports in the past with Encore 1.0 and Audition 2.0's integration with Premiere Pro 2.0. I have to agree, After Effects is a brilliant piece of software, it just feels robust. It has bailed me out a couple of times because Premiere wouldn't render out an edit I had for a client and ended up importing it into AE and it turned it out 1st time, no issues! I'm going to push forward with Vegas, keep PrPro in mind for pieces that require a full project import into AE and hope Adobe does something (just sent them a request to optimize their playback performance), but I won't hold my breath.

Kevin

Ryan Postel March 6th, 2008 09:16 AM

Premiere has crashed 3 times on me so far this week. But the "prompt to save" has been moved from the time of the crash to when you re-open the program.

For me at least, upon opening the program after a crash, it tells me it has "attempted to recover the project" and prompts me to save the project as a new file name just in case. I also have autosave turned on.

Despite the fact that it has successfully recovered my project the last 3 times, the problem is inherent. It keeps crashing.

Does anyone else get any specific error or is it:

"A serious error has occurred in Premiere....."

It has always crashed for me while using the titler.