DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   How do I render an HDV file back to HDV codec?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/116080-how-do-i-render-hdv-file-back-hdv-codec.html)

Tyson Persall February 29th, 2008 11:53 PM

How do I render an HDV file back to HDV codec??

I have captured footage in HDV from Canon XHA1.

Now how do i render my final project back to an HDV file for delivery to a client who wants it as the originating format?

Taky Cheung March 1st, 2008 12:13 AM

Check out this thread

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=111315

Tyson Persall March 1st, 2008 02:33 AM

Thanks but..

thanks but not very satisfying answer.
Why wont premiere just let me render back to an HDV format .m2t file from export movie window instead of having to do a trck.

What format do "THEY'' want us to be using as a finishing format for delivery to someone else?

Taky Cheung March 1st, 2008 02:36 AM

It's not what "THEY" want. It's what YOU want to delivery your video to what target audience. There're all sort of final delivery format under Adobe Media Encoder.

You can export back to MPEG-2 format using Adobe Media Encoder using 25mbps bit rate and 384k MPEG audio. That's close to HDV format.

Tyson Persall March 1st, 2008 06:11 PM

Im just asking;

What is the "industry standard" Finishing format for video originating on HDV?
IF there is one...

With DV it was easy. Start on DV, Finish back to DV.

Daniel Browning March 1st, 2008 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson Persall (Post 835927)
What is the "industry standard" Finishing format for video originating on HDV?

It's DVCPRO HD; however, people who are at all concerned with picture quality use something else, such as Cineform, Pro Res 422, Lagarith, etc. on a hard drive.

Quote:

With DV it was easy. Start on DV, Finish back to DV.
Finishing back to DV greatly reduces the quality of a graded image.

Mitchell Skurnik March 1st, 2008 10:55 PM

If you have the cineform codec installed, you should be able to go File > Export > Movie > properties > and then choose the cineform codec.

Tyson Persall March 2nd, 2008 07:45 PM

Cineform HD

I don't have Cineform HD.
Is that the official answer. Buy Cineform HD? If i did it would be easy.

Let me explain the problem were having.

This file has to be rendered and sent to another facility that does not have cineform HD on there machines. The person with the original footage is the shooter who captures the shots, and wants to render the good takes as a single HDV file and then send over FTP to the other editor/compositor a single .M2T file.

The problem is rendering an HDV single .M2T file.

Now i realize that HDV is not the best format for this process, but thats what the compositor wants. As far as i can tell you cant render back to HDV easily. Perhaps they dont want you to do this.

Paolo Ciccone March 3rd, 2008 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson Persall (Post 835685)
Why wont premiere just let me render back to an HDV format .m2t file from export movie window instead of having to do a trck.

.m2t is an MPEG2 *transport* stream, instead of having video and audio separate, like in the m2v MPEG used to author DVDs, it's all wrapped in one. It's basically meant to be used only as an acquisition format for cameras. Once the footage is demuxed there is no apparent reason to re-create a .m2t file as that is generally not a good format for editing and that would end up re-applying the HDV compression basically ruining your footage.
I think this is the reason why it's not supported, nobody would generally like to use that as a delivery format.
What I suspect the shooter wants to do is to capture the
raw data from the camera. Probably he/she thinks that this approach would work to get "untouched" footage from the camera. This would work is you make a single file out of each tape. If this is not the case then it's the best to convert it to any of the many codecs supported by QuickTime, one that is lossless, like Uncompressed, burn it to a DVD and Fedex the disc. Transferring HDV file via Internet takes too long.

Quote:

What format do "THEY'' want us to be using as a finishing format for delivery to someone else?
"THEY" don't talk to me :) but QuickTime is the de-facto standard for exchange as it works of multiple platforms and it's today recognized by virtually every editor/compositor our there.

Hope this helps.

Tyson Persall March 3rd, 2008 01:42 AM

Good answer

Thanks Paolo,
That was what i was wanting to hear.

Still the problem with doing quicktime Uncompressed is its enormous file size. Certainly there is a compressed format that I could be using that is avalible in premiere that is near visually lossless.

Paolo Ciccone March 3rd, 2008 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson Persall (Post 836518)
Still the problem with doing quicktime Uncompressed is its enormous file size. Certainly there is a compressed format that I could be using that is avalible in premiere that is near visually lossless.

There are several. PNG is lossless and compressed. A sequence of compressed TIFF files is also smaller than Uncompressed. You can render the sequence and audio separately and break the sequence to manageable zip files. You can also use SheerVideo (http://www.bitjazz.com ) This is a commercial plugin but it's fully functional for 20 days and they provide a free "reader" that your client can install to play the clips back. Sheer is completely faithful to the original and less than 1/2 the size of Uncompressed.