Great news from Adobe!! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old July 10th, 2003, 01:56 PM   #31
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Forman :
I would proudly use a Pirated version that has the registration disabled, just to show my disdain with the whole process. -->>>

Madness!! You complain about the rubbish Microsoft imbeds in its programs and therefore fail to trust a huge corporation and yet you are quite happy to trust and run a program cracked by a total unknown miscreant with God knows what lovely little extras he/she's imbedded, viruses, trojans who knows what.

Anyway this is wildly off topic now (sorry guys) and its a free world but the only thing the previous versions of Windows have going for them is program compatibilty, beyond that they join the AOL discs in my drinks coaster collection.

Regards all.
Old July 10th, 2003, 02:28 PM   #32
Capt. Quirk

Nick- Actually, yes, I would to an extent, trust a hacker over a huge corporation. I have known a few, and they actually have more going for them than Microsoft. Granted, there are a lot of miscreants out there, but the core philosophy behind hackers is freedom of information. Who do you think is behind Linux? People who feel information and software should be free.

It is because of "White Hat " hackers, that holes and bugs are discovered. It certainly isn't because Bill Gate's is concerned with making sure his products are 100% for the paying public. His only concern is churning out new products for them to buy- at a high price.
Old July 10th, 2003, 09:52 PM   #33
Regular Crew

If you have multiable dual boot machines as I do consider purchasing a business copy of Windows XP Pro. There is a specific number of licenses on the disk. Microsoft will be all to happy to sell you as many as you need. So far I have not been asked to register or activate any of the copys.3

My complaints with XP is that is totally ridiculous that I have to buy multiable copys of the OS to install on my machines. For godsakes I cant even install 2 instances of Pro on the same machine. Everytime I tried to activate the second install it tells my to buy another Key. Kidda makes you want to pirate there software. However if you do use a pirated copy and for some strange reason you need tech support (Or you just feel the need to spend 6 hours on hold) your outta luck.

As far as what Os to use for your NLE. I dont understand why people are so relucdant to switch to Xp...I know the activation is a PITA but I have seen a noticable increase in stability. Not to mention I like the new interface. Also theres the some time life saving System restore point. If you tweak a lot you will become bestfriends with it. I have notice that Xp seems to be a little cleaner in memory managment this is especially noticable if you have 1.5 or 2 gigs of Ram. For instance...I have noticed that when I run an app that has a high or realtime priority setting Xp will divert memory away from low level background functions to allow the app more memory space. I think 2k did this as well but not quite as nicely as Xp does. Not to mention with either XP or 2k you can format your drive using the NTFS file system. This eliminate the file size constraint that is contained in the FAT32 system. Plus I just think NTFS is better at managing file space. It seems to need defraging a lot less.

I just cant see anyone using 98SE or ME anymore. Unless there attached to a piece of software or hardware that wont run under a OS with NT underpinnings.
Old July 10th, 2003, 11:54 PM   #34
Wrangler

Hey, folks--this is the wrong thread for the WinXP copy protection debate. Let's stick to Premiere.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old July 11th, 2003, 05:24 AM   #35
Capt. Quirk

Scott- I already have all of those things in Win2K... Except for having to register. I just replaced my processor. End of story, no registration needed. I like that, and can't see any improvement that XP has which makes up for the registration hassles.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite