Captured in HDV... now what? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Captured in HDV... now what?

I recently shot a project on my JVC HD100 in HDV 24p. Unfortunately, I have a blown bus port and cannot use my HD100 to capture in PP2. I've been banging my head thinking of all the possible ways I could do this outside of buying a deck, which is financially out of the question right now.

The options I have in front of me right now are to:

-Capture in Avid or FCP. My question is, will PP accept the Avid- or FCP-captured files and allow me to edit them.

-Rent a deck or camera to ingest. I can't find anyone around me that rents HD100s, so my question with this method is, will a Sony or Panasonic HDV camera recognize the JVC HDV footage and allow me to capture?

I have an old Sony TRV25, which I've tried to capture with, but because it's just a regular DV camera, I don't think it recognizes the HDV footage.

Please help. I'm banging my head off the desk trying to figure this out. Thank you.
Old April 4th, 2008, 05:09 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Final Cut uses a codec that is not available for a PC, so that's a waste of time. I don't know about Avid.

Any other HDV camera should be able to play it. Anything other than an HDV camera will not be able to read the tape.
Colin Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #3
Major Player

No, you cannot use AVID-captured files in your Premiere either. It uses proprietary Avid codec and file format.

You cannot capture 24p HDV using any other camera, either. You will have to rent a HD100/110 (or any camera from JVC ProHD line) or JVC HD deck, unfortunately.

There is one another alternative, though - you could try and capture your footage via analog outputs. You will need some kind of capture card. You could even try hooking the outputs to any old DV camcorder, setting your HD100 to SD output and salvage your footage at least in SD.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite