DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   PPRO CS3 lots o footage workflow trouble (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/119013-ppro-cs3-lots-o-footage-workflow-trouble.html)

Nathan Quattrini April 9th, 2008 10:18 PM

PPRO CS3 lots o footage workflow trouble

I have alot of footage...probably 11 hours or so....in a file. They were all from straight hdvsplit tape captures. I went through and picked out the best shots and made new sequences for each scene with all the usable footage. So the project still has ALL the footage in it, making it take like 10-15 minutes to open the project. It creates a sever lag if i switch to another program and switch back as well. So my question is as follows :

Is there a way to single out the totally un-needed footage files, and delete them from not only the project, but the hard drive as well simultaneously? I don`t want to have to write down every file and hunt them out in the folders on the hard drive. The issue with using file manager to do it, is when it gathers files into a new folder (and discards the unused) it loses all folders and organization, and just dumps everything in the project into the root of a new folder....it doesn't keep the sub folder heirarchies, which I need to do. Also using the file manager will not move other things that may be in the project folder, like AE folders, music folders etc....and I lost work in the past not realizing that. Is there any way to do this besides file by file? I really need to make the process faster.

Lloyd Coleman April 9th, 2008 11:02 PM

If the footage is separate clips (I assume they are if you used HDV Split with scene detect) you can do this:

Open the menu in the project panel by clicking the small triangle in the upper right hand corner; select 'Edit Columns'; click the 'Video Usage' box; move the Video Usage item to the top using the 'Move Up' box in the right hand side of the window.

Now in your Project panel you will have a number next to each clip showing how many times they are used in the project. Click the 'Video Usage' column heading and it will sort the used clips from the unused clips; select all of the unused clips (ones with no numbers next to them); right click on the unused clips; select 'Make Offline'; if you want the files removed from your hard drive select 'Media files are deleted'; click O.K.

That should do it for you. Good luck

Adam Gold April 9th, 2008 11:48 PM

I think what you're looking for is the Project Manager. Under it, you "Create a New Trimmed Project" and make sure you check the box for "Delete unused files." That should keep everything you need and get rid of everything you don't.

But only do this if you've actually "used" every possible frame you think you might need by putting it into a sequence, because it not only deletes clips you didn't use but also the unused parts of the clips you did use, making further adjustments nearly impossible. If all your usable footage is in sequences you should be fine. I believe that when it creates the new project it does not delete the old one, so if it doesn't work you should still be safe. After you've worked with the new project and determined it's fine you should be able to delete the old one.

I think.

Lloyd's method may be simpler.

Nathan Quattrini April 11th, 2008 07:24 AM

I will try llyods method, as the project manager loses folder structres when it makes the trimmed projects. thanks guys I`ll let you know how it goes once I go through and save all of the blooper footage from deletion.

Adam Gold April 11th, 2008 10:06 AM

Oh, sorry, didn't know you were already referring to Project Manager in regards to losing file structure...I thought you meant the old Windows File Manager or something different. In that case then Lloyd's method is obviously the best and quickest...