Optimise XP Pro for Premiere CS3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 15th, 2008, 09:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Optimise XP Pro for Premiere CS3

So , new install with SP2 and all updates and CS3 updates.

What optimisations make a difference in your opinion? Let's all compare.....

I have a fairly beefy machine ( Quadcore Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz - eSATA Raid 0 - 4GB Ram) so not sure smaller tweaks will make any difference.

Thank you
Deniz Ahmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deniz Ahmet View Post
So , new install with SP2 and all updates and CS3 updates.

What optimisations make a difference in your opinion? Let's all compare.....

I have a fairly beefy machine ( Quadcore Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz - eSATA Raid 0 - 4GB Ram) so not sure smaller tweaks will make any difference.

Thank you
What do you plan to achieve? Optimizations on an older single core machine did make some minor difference, some on speed, some on stability.
But with today's multicore power I don't really see the benefit in optimizing really.
below link is to an older article but still very applicable, so if you like experimenting, some of the tweaks are still quite useful.
http://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Tips/...--PART-II.html
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Yes! Microsoft systems really run best when left alone. The so-called tweakers and optimizers do nothing much really, relying on some arcane hacks that were designed for 9x systems (such as removing DLLs from memory).

Tweaking will do more harm than good. I know this, I have used heaps of them in my time.

Make sure you have your Premiere scratch disks using a fast drive and you'll be OK. You may also put Windows swap file to some fast drive other than the system drive.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #4
Major Player

My System:
I have been editing on my workstation for about 2.5 years and this is what I have done to tweak it for use with Premiere Pro 2.0. I have a 10,000 rpm drive split into two equal partitions. The first I use for my operating system, the second I use for my programs. I know you may be thinking why you would want to do this. Simply, it helps to keep everything organized and helps to keep fragmentation down a bit.

Second I have 3 68GB 10,000rpm SCSI drives set in raid 0. Now with RAID 0, you have no redundancy, so make sure you back up your files at least weekly (In my case I have a SAN which I use to backup every 30min or so).

Ok now the tweaks:
First and foremost, create a recovery point you can go back to every time you are about to make a major change to your system.

Second disable any software you do not need to have at start up. The programs that I have the most problem with are from Apple (go figure). No matter how many times you remove Apple from booting sometime at start up, it wiggles itself back in within a month. You don't need any bullshit programs to run at start up:
  • Quicktime
  • Instant Messaging software
  • Winzip
  • Fax software
  • etc.

The only programs you need are any license management software, your anti-virus/malware/firewall, leave all default windows services. Disable anything you don't think you need. You can add them back later if you need them.

I also unplug my Ethernet cable on the back when I am working with my external sound card. If I don’t I get BSOD's with my Tascam digital mixer. This also helps to keep distractions away while working. You won't be distracted to go to youtube or whatever. The last tweak that I use with XP32 is to set /3GB mode to get a bit more ram out of my 4GB of RAM.

Project Structure:
When you are working on a project, keep all of your assets in a unique folder on your fast RAID 0 array. This is how I normally set up my projects (Replace X with your drive letter):
  • X:\Unique Project Description\
  • Under that folder I have the following items:
  • My premiere pro project file
  • All Premiere generated files and folders
  • Then I create a folder called Resources
  • Under that I create separate folders for Audio (Music, Voice Over, SFX), Pictures, Footage, After Effects, and Misc.

I put all of my assets under this so when I archive it I have everything I need to edit that project again in the future.

Updates
I normally keep my system up to date with windows update but I have set it check and update at 3 in the morning. This way I am not nagged by windows to update my system.

I also check for adobe updates every month or so as well as 3rd party updates for programs such as Cineform and any other plug-ins I use.

Hope this all helps!!
Old April 15th, 2008, 11:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Skurnik View Post
The last tweak that I use with XP32 is to set /3GB mode to get a bit more ram out of my 4GB of RAM.
I gotta agree with Mitchell, I think the /3gb switch in the boot.ini sped up after effects and premiere pro for me.

After I did it after effects changed the amount of RAM usage at startup to 3gb for me.

I have 4gb of memory on my system and my boot.ini has this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /3GB /userva=3030

Here is more info:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms791558.aspx
Tup Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #6
Trustee

What does this mean (from the Microsoft link above)?:

> To take advantage of the 3 GB available to user-mode programs, the program must be linked with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE option.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 12:50 AM   #7
Major Player

*shrug* just add /3GB, save, and reboot...it should work
Old April 16th, 2008, 01:07 AM   #8
Major Player

Yes, I forgot the gb switch! That definitely works.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 08:39 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tup Wright View Post
I gotta agree with Mitchell, I think the /3gb switch in the boot.ini sped up after effects and premiere pro for me.

After I did it after effects changed the amount of RAM usage at startup to 3gb for me.

I have 4gb of memory on my system and my boot.ini has this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /3GB /userva=3030

Here is more info:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms791558.aspx
Is there a way to check if your system is using the full 4 gigs? I made the change in the boot.ini file but afterwards when rightclicking on "mycomputer" it still stated that I had 3,25 gig memory while there are 4 installed.
Also in what way did you notice the speed differences in premiere, I thought that only a faster processor will increase render times f.i. so I'm not sure what else can be made faster when using more memory?
Old April 18th, 2008, 08:45 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Is there a way to check if your system is using the full 4 gigs? I made the change in the boot.ini file but afterwards when rightclicking on "mycomputer" it still stated that I had 3,25 gig memory while there are 4 installed.
Kep in mind, XP(32bit) will only recognize 3.25GB of RAM. So, you are maxed out, there.
Old April 18th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bates View Post
Kep in mind, XP(32bit) will only recognize 3.25GB of RAM. So, you are maxed out, there.
So if I understand you right, adding /3GB /userva=3030 to the boot.ini has no effect at all on win xp pro 32bit?
Old April 18th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
So if I understand you right, adding /3GB /userva=3030 to the boot.ini has no effect at all on win xp pro 32bit?
I am unfamiliar with the /3GB command in the .ini file (but i will try it on mine when I get home)
I'm just saying that your results with your "My Computer" test, shows what I would expect.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite