Premiere Pro CS3 capture low quality at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 18th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Premiere Pro CS3 capture low quality

Is it possible to capture at half DV res, for a rough edit? Then I can export the batch list, or replace low res clips with full quality clips when I'm ready to export the final film.

Most of my editing will be done on a laptop for the next project, the laptop belongs to work, and isn't really adequate but that's all they've got for me to use, hard drive space is not very much, so i could do with my files being as small as possible for the edit, then export a batch list, re-capture the clips at full res just the ones i need and build the film.

I know After Effects can create proxy clips but is this possible in Premiere?

Thanks!

Russ
Old April 21st, 2008, 03:46 AM   #2
Major Player

Not really, I'm afraid. At least I was not able to figure any decent way to do it.
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 08:46 AM   #3
Trustee

Russ, you can convert the clips to a low-res version outside PPro, say with QuickTime player. Store the lowres clips in a separate directory. Import them in Premiere, edit and then select them in the Project panel, right click and select "Make Offline". Choose the "Keep media" option. Keep the selection, right click and select "Link Media". Click on the first file of the normal resolution and you are done.
Old April 21st, 2008, 08:52 AM   #4
Regular Crew

EDIT: POSTED AND MISSED PAOLO's INPUT. SORRY PAOLO!

So, if I capture in Premiere, export media as Quicktime, then re-import back into Premiere and delete my source files. Is this right, or can I capture actually in Quicktime?

Thanks Bart, I also searched the program for a way but to no avail.

I am referring to this, an excert from livedocs.adobe.com, on Offline Edit.

"In offline editing, you capture low‑quality clips for editing purposes, but recapture them at high resolution when it’s time to finish, render, and export your final product. Editing the low‑resolution clips allows standard computers to edit excessively large assets, such as HDV or HD footage, without losing performance speed or running out of storage. It also lets editors use laptop computers to edit—for example, while on location."

Is it not possible at all to capture low quality clips, even though it is in the Premiere Pro online manual?

Has anyone else done this?

Last edited by Russ Holland; April 21st, 2008 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Missed timing on the post.
Russ Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #5
Major Player

The problem with Premiere sequences is that they store the clip resolution inherently. I might be wrong here with new versions, but I've been looking for a decent solution for off-line in CS2, and found none bar exporting EDL, and this was unacceptable for me.

You might do the ingest with high compression, and then do the on-line with the best quality, but I have not been able to use clips with higher resolution than specified in the starting sequence.
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 06:19 AM   #6
Trustee

If you ingest by firewire (which you should) then you will necessarily get full resolution for the initial files.

But that's really not a problem - just chuck those files into any application that does batch encoding - for example Tmpgenc, Procoder or Squeeze (maybe Qucktime too? - never used it) and have a cup of coffee while it produces half-res versions. Edit with those, then relink to the full size version for final render.

I'm trying to understand Bart's post. I've never had problems relinking to higher-res clips - I used to do this at lot when I was editing 720p footage on a puny laptop. Remember that the resolution you export at is independent of timeline resolution in the Premiere project settings.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite