Best un/notvery compressed for transfer to Sorensen Squeeze at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 28th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 161
Best un/notvery compressed for transfer to Sorensen Squeeze

Hi,

I would like to use Sorensen Squeeze (4.5) to export different format versions from my PP3 SD timeline. Could somebody please advise me of the best intermediate format to use to exchange between the 2 applications.

I have a big list that seem possible (inc uncompressed AVI, uncompressed DV AVI, Quicktime animation etc etc).

What do you guys use?

Alex
Alex Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #2
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North Conway, NH
Posts: 1,745
Alex... not terribly familiar with Squeeze, although others might be, but if you have PP and Squeeze on the same machine I thought there was an integration point. I could be way wrong but others might know.

If you need to create an intermediate file for transfer many, including myself, use Quicktime with the animation codec. This is common for output from AE that will be used in PP or elsewhere. Keep in mind that if your project is of any significant length your file can be huge.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 06:41 AM   #3
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Atlanta/USA
Posts: 2,507
The best format to preserve quality is, as one should expect, uncompressed.

For second to best you might consider near lossless (visually lossless) codecs like HUFF YUV. Personally I would stay away from QT codecs as they might give you headaches depending on your PC configuration (but do use QT if you need to exchange work with FCP/Mac editors).
__________________
Ervin Farkas, CDVS
Certified Legal Videographer
Ervin Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 08:56 AM   #4
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
The best format to preserve quality is, as one should expect, uncompressed.

For second to best you might consider near lossless (visually lossless) codecs like HUFF YUV. Personally I would stay away from QT codecs as they might give you headaches depending on your PC configuration (but do use QT if you need to exchange work with FCP/Mac editors).
Thanks for your advice.

I assume that the uncompressed option in Premiere would be

- 'Uncompressed Microsoft AVI' with '8-bit YUV (4:2:2 YUV) and 'recompress' unticked. Do I need 8 or 10 bit?

Please can you tell me where I find the HUFF YUV in the menu (see screenshots below)?

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Best un/notvery compressed for transfer to Sorensen Squeeze-ms-uncp-avi.gif   Best un/notvery compressed for transfer to Sorensen Squeeze-ms-uncp-avi-video.gif  

Alex Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 08:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
Alex... not terribly familiar with Squeeze, although others might be, but if you have PP and Squeeze on the same machine I thought there was an integration point. I could be way wrong but others might know.

If you need to create an intermediate file for transfer many, including myself, use Quicktime with the animation codec. This is common for output from AE that will be used in PP or elsewhere. Keep in mind that if your project is of any significant length your file can be huge.
Thanks Tripp,

I have done this before when exporting between AE and PP. I am interested in Ervins comments about steering clear of QT. See my post above.

Alex
Alex Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #6
Trustee
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Posts: 1,666
huffyuv is a high-quality near-lossless freeware codec that is about half the size of uncompressed (i.e still large!).

I used it a lot until I could afford Cineform, which is much more compact.

You need to manually install the huffyuv codec on your machine (you'll easily find a link via Google). Once it's installed, it will appear alongaside the other available codecs in Premiere's menu.

Edit: Alex .... in your screenshot, your "General" setting should be "Microsoft avi". Within "Video" settings, huffyuv will then show up as one of your "Compressor" options.

Last edited by Graham Hickling; April 29th, 2008 at 10:18 PM.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:33 AM   #7
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hickling View Post
huffyuv is a high-quality near-lossless freeware codec that is about half the size of uncompressed (i.e still large!).

I used it a lot until I could afford Cineform, which is much more compact.

You need to manually install the huffyuv codec on your machine (you'll easily find a link via Google). Once it's installed, it will appear alongaside the other available codecs in Premiere's menu.

Edit: Alex .... in your screenshot, your "General" setting should be "Microsoft avi". Within "Video" settings, huffyuv will then show up as one of your "Compressor" options.
Thanks Graham, that makes perfect sense.

I have tried HUFF YUV and you are right they are pretty big files.

I have also had a go at frameserving and am really impressed with the way it works - damn clever idea.

My trial of Cineform was disappointing, the files were big, my timeline behaved like a snail and the preview window (and exports) suffered from the contrast difference issue (changes between stopped and playing). In all I was rather put off.

I also have bought the SheerVideo codec but I wonder if frameserving makes this redundant for my workflow.

Alex
Alex Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 05:23 PM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brno Czech Republic
Posts: 453
QT Animation is overkill for export situations, you can get by with QT PNG (alpha support) or QT JPEG with low compression.

On the other hand, Animation is the best for moving between several apps.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:40 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network