Where to install adobe editting programs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 5th, 2008, 02:38 AM   #1
Tourist

Where to install adobe editting programs

Ok, I just had a computer built for editting. I have RAID 0 configuration with two drives. One for Windows /:C and the other drive /:E for rendering and such. So which drive shall I install my video editting programs, such as premiere and after effects on?? Also can someone tell me how I should specify which drive as a scratch? Thanks!
Lee Huynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:30 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Install it on the other (non-Windows) drive. As to your last question, I don't exactly get what you're trying to ask. Could you clarify?
Colin Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:41 AM   #3
Tourist

Thanks

Absolutely, as to that second question, I ran across this link while searching through dv...
http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Prem...8DDE57377.html
This site goes into saying how to specify which drive to use as a "scratch" drive. I'm not sure exactly how i should customize my CAPTURING in order to improve system performance.

But thanks for answering my first question!
Old May 5th, 2008, 05:22 AM   #4
Trustee

Sorry Lee,

You are not making much sense to me. You have two disks configured as a (R)aid0 and you have two disks C: and E:. Which is it? Two separate physical disks C and E? Two (r)aided disks for E:? Please explain. BTW, Raid0 is better called AID0, since redundancy lacks altogether. It is just a bandAID.

Common is to have OS and programs on one physical disk. Media on another (R)aided disk, scratch on another physical disk.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #5
Major Player

Install Premiere, or any other application for that matter, to the Windows C drive. There is no reason or benefit installing it to a different drive.
What is really important is to save premiere projects on the non-windows drive. Again, you should never save any file to the windows drive in any case. It's also a good idea to move the My Documents folder to the non-Windows drive. (easily achieved by right clicking it's icon on the desktop and selecting properties).

Regarding captures and scratch disks : since you only have one non-Windows drive, this is a non-question. Just remember to save the project files to the non-Windows drive, and keep all capture and scratch disk options at their default "Same as project Folder" setting.

If you had another physical drive, you would capture video to the third drive. A fourth drive - and you could tell premiere to use this drive as as "scratch" disk for video previews in the preferences.

I'm not sure from your post if you have 2 raid-0 arrays, one for windows and one for media, or if you have one raid-0, with two partitions.
Partitions are a big no-no for video editing. If you only have 2 physical drives you are better off not using raid, and using one drive for windows and one for media.

In any case, even though multiple drives improve performance, one 7200 RPM drive is good enough for most dv/hdv projects (assuming you have a fast enough processor). Unless you are using lots of simultanious layers of video, you should have no problem. Just don't let the media drive fill up to much. the fuller it's gets the slower it becomes.

good luck
Jon Shohet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #6
Tourist

New at this, reason for confusing questions

Yes, Thanks for your posts guys, I actually have two drives, one for OS (500gb) and one that is non OS(1Tb). So I have two drives AID0 independently from each other.

I am going to run all programs on the OS drive and save all my projects onto the other drive. That seems to make sense. Thanks!
Old May 5th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #7
Tourist

Just in case...

I did not use partition. I have 2x250 gb and 2x500gb drives.
Lee Huynh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite