DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Production Premium CS3 - XP 64bit ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/122105-production-premium-cs3-xp-64bit.html)

Ulli Grunow May 21st, 2008 08:34 AM

Production Premium CS3 - XP 64bit ?

Hi there,
did anybody try running Production Premium CS3 on Windows XP 64bit edition ?

As Cineform does not support Vista for the moment, I like to overcome the memory (RAM) limitation of XP 32bit. So I guess the only possibility will be changing Windows XP to the 64bit edition.

The only problem is, that Adobe is not supporting XP 64bit ...grrr

Any advice or recommendation... thanks

greetings,

Ulli

Ryan Postel May 21st, 2008 08:55 AM

I think I've talked about this in another thread, but I have exactly this set-up.

I don't feel that I'm really gaining a whole lot by adding 2 more gigs of RAM, and from what I heard, adding more RAM will lead to diminishing returns in speed gain because of the limitations of what the programs can utilize.

I guess I'm not completely impressed by the XP64 and CS3, but then again, CS3 isn't 64 bit anyways. And its not like I'm going to spend all the time to convert back to 32 bit XP.

While Adobe doesn't "support" 64bit, they will try to answer questions, they just might not have all the answers.

I'm just staying away from Vista. It hasn't worked out in my office for several people already.

Mike McCarthy May 21st, 2008 10:44 AM

CS3 works fine on XP64 on many systems. I have a few and plan to upgrade all my systems to XP64 since Vista is useless.

Devin Termini May 21st, 2008 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Postel (Post 881026)
I'm just staying away from Vista. It hasn't worked out in my office for several people already.

I just started running CS3 on Vista 64. With the latest updates applied, I haven't had any *serious* problems yet. My guess is that CS4 will have better Vista support and there were whispers that CS4 would also have native 64-bit support.

I'll let you know how/if this new OS works out.

Jiri Fiala May 22nd, 2008 03:37 AM

Vista works flawless with CS3, for me anyway. Even on older hardware. It does need more RAM than XP, but hey - they give RAM sticks away for free in cereal boxes these days and Vista can definitely use memory more wisely than XP.

Lars Siden May 22nd, 2008 06:59 AM

I've been running Vista x64 on my desktop and laptop for more than 6 months, works 110%.

I have 8gb mem on my desktop - Premiere can get 4gb and Photoshop can get another 2-3gb - works very well.

Also, CS3 is very multi-core friendly - I have a Quadcore Q9450 right now, and rendering is faaaast!

// Lazze

Drew Mandac May 23rd, 2008 12:23 PM

Question for the guys running PP CS3 and Vista64:

Do you get a delay between hitting the space bar (play) and actual timeline playback? This is the only issue I'm having and I'm trying to figure out if it's Premiere or one of my plugins (or hardware related).

Adam Gold May 23rd, 2008 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike McCarthy (Post 881097)
CS3 works fine on XP64 on many systems. I have a few and plan to upgrade all my systems to XP64 since Vista is useless.

Hey Mike--

There's a thread over in the FX1 forum where the poster says he can't get XP64 to see his FX1 or HC1 at all. Have you heard anything like this? He won't provide a lot of details and it seems strange to me... He's using PP2 but insists it's an XP64 issue.

Anybody have experience with this?

Lars Siden May 30th, 2008 12:26 PM

Drew,

Actually I hade the "space pause" problem on my XP box earlier on. I think it was related to problems with differen codecs being installed. Ie. I belive I installed Sony Vegas AFTER Premier Pro.

// Lz