DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Premiere Pro CS3: XP or Vista? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/122508-premiere-pro-cs3-xp-vista.html)

Bryan Gilchrist May 27th, 2008 02:39 PM

Premiere Pro CS3: XP or Vista?

I am planning on putting together a Premiere Pro CS3 system, but was wondering if it should be XP based or Vista based?

Is anyone running PPCS3 on a Vista based system? Are there any advantages or disadvantages to it?

I'm not a Vista fan myself, but if it's worth it, I'll go with it.

Shawn McCalip May 27th, 2008 06:00 PM

I use Premiere Pro CS3 on 3 systems: Windows XP at work, Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, and Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit, the latter 2 at home.

I've experienced more crashes and lost work on the XP system than either of the Vista systems. I'm not sure why things turned out that way, but they have. Also, I've noticed that my 64-bit Vista Ultimate system seems to behave slightly better than the 32-bit Home Premium system.

I think Vista has been out long enough for many of the original troubles with drivers, hardware, and software, have become less of an issue. Of course, if you're more comfortable with XP, you might want to hurry up and snatch a copy while you can, because I thought it was being pulled from store shelves by the end of May or June of this year.

At any rate, I think Vista is still catching a bad wrap, but it definitely a lot better now than it was a year ago. As I've said, I've been working 100% Vista at home since October of 2007, and I haven't had a single problem. Hope this helps!

Wade Spencer May 27th, 2008 09:05 PM

I'm making the jump to Vista 64 bit very soon with the CS3 suite. I'll try to remember to update this thread with my experiences.

John McGinley May 27th, 2008 11:00 PM

I use CS3 with Vista 64 and it's a very solid experience. I can't wait until they actually make a 64 Bit Premiere though.

I've also been using it with the Blackmagic Intensity Pro card, works just fine.

Devin Termini May 28th, 2008 04:29 PM

Using CS3 with Vista x64 and I'm having no issues. I would recommend it.

Jiri Fiala May 28th, 2008 04:43 PM

It`s really easy: do you buy a whole new PC? Go Vista. If you have anything older than 2 years, stick with XP.

Clark Cooper May 28th, 2008 05:15 PM

As I understand it, Vista's "bad rap" comes from:

a) Users attempting to use old(er) software or hardware on a new operating system.

b) Software companies that have not yet updated their software to work with the new(er) operating system.

c) Clever, suggestive marketing by Apple Computers. (Remember that frustrated man on the commercials is an actor paid by Apple; he is not REALLY a PC). ;)

I admit, I kicked against the pricks and fought the Vista upgrade until just recently. After having a good long talk with my long-time trusted and knowledgeable white box computer vendor (Josh Prince at Prime Systems in Kaysville, Utah) The way he explains it, XP users complained about security and stability. So Microsoft locked down on security and created a more rock solid operating system by dis-allowing older hardware/software to run. Now people complain that they can't run Quickbooks 2002. Time to upgrade.

Also, if you're concerned about the "Aero" graphics slowing your system down, simply turn them off.

For video editing I would recommend Vista 64-bit (checking with all of your important software manufacturers to ensure that they are up-to-date with Vista).

John McGinley May 28th, 2008 07:10 PM

Well I had a nightmare getting Vista 64 installed, but since I got it installed, it's working great. I still have XP Pro 32 bit dual booting too.

First I had to reset my motherboard for whatever reason it wouldn't boot from DVD, cleared CMOS and that fixed that.

Then I kept getting BSOD during install, and finally nailed it down to having too much RAM (yes that is correct), and I had to remove 6 Gigs and left 2 gigs to install, then once it was installed, download a fix that recognized the other 6 gigs, since then it's been pretty smooth.

The only major hurdles left are Contour Shuttle doesn't have 64 bit drivers for their edit wheel and M-Audio doesn't have Vista 64 drivers for their sound cards.

I haven't had any crashes in Premiere that I can remember since installing it though.

64 bit Maya is a joy compared to 32 bit.