Stumped on exporting filmstrips from Premiere and reimporting them... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 29th, 2003, 03:29 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Hmm. Tried exporting it directly from Premiere to an .avi using DV compression. I figured I could then use the .avi clip instead of the huge .flm clip.

The saved .avi shows the same bands however. It seems that sending the movie through the video server, apparantly cures the problem in the final result. Still have no clue what is going on...

Hans Henrik
Hans Henrik Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 05:12 PM   #17
Capt. Quirk

I still say you are seeing interlacing. Either that, or it is just a "quick" preview, not a finished view.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2003, 02:13 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply Keith

As for the preview it is quite "finished". Even if select "print to video" and view it in fullscreen, the same banding effect is there.

I am not quite sure what you mean that I am seeing interlace. Any idea of some test I could do to see whether this is interlace related?

To better show what it looks like in motion, I put an .avi illustrating the effect here:

http://home7.inet.tele.dk/hhb/redtest/pettertest.avi

Sorry it's a bit large. 8 megs or so, but would rather not introduce other compression than DV in order to keep things simple.

Hans Henrik
Old July 30th, 2003, 12:58 PM   #19
Wrangler

This is extremely strange.

I think if it was an interlace issue, you would not see black bars a couple of pixels think. That sort of thing is only seen when you are doing a quick pan/ tilt.

Thanks for the great pictures and video that show the problem.

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 05:32 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Hmmm. Maybe I should consider upgrading to Premiere Pro when that comes out, and see if that solves the problem.

Apart from that, I am pretty much out of ideas about how to try to solve this.

Hans Henrik
Old July 31st, 2003, 08:26 AM   #21
Major Player

Hi Hans,
Hope nobody laughs at me but want to point something.

On you first jpeg with the black screen on right I saw you are running Interent connection. There were some information at other forums/treads this might lead to problems whil doing export to tape in Vegas for example.

Try the hole process free of unneccessary opened software.
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 09:15 AM   #22
Capt. Quirk

Actually, you have a very valid point. While it is unlikely the culprit, it isn't to be laughed at. Sometimes it is the silliest stuff that gets you.
Old July 31st, 2003, 09:15 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Bogdan, I certainly will not laugh at you... At this point I am ready to try the export at midnight during full moon, swinging a dead chicken over my head, if I thought that would help :)

The suggestion was a good one, unfortunately it didn't help. I yanked out the network, shutdown any unneeded applications and retried it. Still same result...

Hmm. Maybe that chicken.....

Hans Henrik
Old July 31st, 2003, 10:04 AM   #24
Capt. Quirk

Just keep in mind, for the chicken thing to work, you can't just pick up a frozen bird at the grocers :)
Old September 2nd, 2003, 06:55 AM   #25
Regular Crew

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Just a follow up from this problem that I never really figured out.

The problem disappears if I use Premiere Pro in stead of Premiere 6.02.

Cannot really say what the problem was, but since it belongs to an old version of Premiere I will think of it no more.

Besides, I decided that using "lightning" effect in AE is about 10% of the work of rotoscoping i Photoshop. It looks a little bit better with manual rotoscope, but not really enough to justify the many many hours.

Thanks for all the input from you.
Old September 2nd, 2003, 10:05 AM   #26
Wrangler

Hans,

Glad to hear that you have sovlved the problem. Thats probably the reason why I could not re-create it in P6.5????

I'm thinking of buying Premiere Pro (video collection edition with AE, Encore etc) what have you found good about it, can you tell me more?

Cheers,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2003, 02:12 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Yes maybe 6.5 would have solved it too.

I figure that perhaps 6.02 was too old and got a bit confused by my new XP PRO and P4 with hyperthreading and "800 MHz" FSB. There might have been some timing problem that never occurred on hardware back in the 6.02 days.

Cannot tell you much about Pro yet. Just did that one test and haven't had time for much else. Interface looks a bit more spiffy though, but you should probably go look in the dedicated thread for Pro opinions better than mine.

Hans Henrik
Hans Henrik Bang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite