DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   DVD's won't work!? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/123551-dvds-wont-work.html)

Lukas Kajiwara June 11th, 2008 07:17 PM

DVD's won't work!?

Hi i'm a high school student having some trouble exporting a short movie that we just finished. I shot it on an Xl h1 and edited the whole project in HDV. We're looking to export to DVD and i've already done a few renders, but the dvd's wont work when i put them in a regular DVD player. I don't have the exact numbers but it went something like this
1st try - DV, widescreen, mpeg 2, vbr2 pass ( took around 13 hrs for 24min of footage is that normal?) burned onto a DVD-R
2nd try - DV, 4:3, mpeg-2, vbr 1 pass (had to try this several times as there was a thunderstorm at 1oclock in the morning and the power went out) burned onto a DVD-RW
-i cant remember if i tried a cbr version.
point is that none of these DVD's worked
Sorry if i'm asking a lot but what coul be some good settings i could use to convert HDV into high quality SD and then burn it onto DVD? Also what are the files that should be burnt onto the DVD, the video which is an MPEG2 and the audio correct? Are the xmp files necessary? Thanks a lot!

Mitchell Skurnik June 11th, 2008 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukas Kajiwara (Post 891678)
Hi i'm a high school student having some trouble exporting a short movie that we just finished. I shot it on an Xl h1 and edited the whole project in HDV. We're looking to export to DVD and i've already done a few renders, but the dvd's wont work when i put them in a regular DVD player. I don't have the exact numbers but it went something like this
1st try - DV, widescreen, mpeg 2, vbr2 pass ( took around 13 hrs for 24min of footage is that normal?) burned onto a DVD-R
2nd try - DV, 4:3, mpeg-2, vbr 1 pass (had to try this several times as there was a thunderstorm at 1oclock in the morning and the power went out) burned onto a DVD-RW
-i cant remember if i tried a cbr version.
point is that none of these DVD's worked
Sorry if i'm asking a lot but what coul be some good settings i could use to convert HDV into high quality SD and then burn it onto DVD? Also what are the files that should be burnt onto the DVD, the video which is an MPEG2 and the audio correct? Are the xmp files necessary? Thanks a lot!

Do you know if your DVD player supports DVD-R?

Lukas Kajiwara June 11th, 2008 07:41 PM

well i've tried a few different places. 2 different dvd players, a ps2. Some of the Dvd's i made work on computers. Sorry i'm so vague I'll have to get the specifics tomorrow, I just posted this today because i usually have to wait for a few days until i get a response. Anyway do i have the correct settings in the media encoder to get the movie onto a dvd?

Mitchell Skurnik June 11th, 2008 08:41 PM

The easiest way to export a video to DVD is using the export to DVD (Premiere Pro 2.0) or Export to encore (CS3) and use the higest quality possible.

Douglas Thigpen June 16th, 2008 08:48 PM

By your last sentence, it sounds like you're just copying the mpeg files to a DVD. You need to author the DVD with Encore from those mpeg files (then burn the DVD straight or save the VIDEO_TS folder and burn it to a DVD).

John Stakes June 23rd, 2008 12:28 AM

Do you have Adobe Encore? I find the easiest way to create a DVD is to export to Encore from Premiere (Though I admit at times this process has failed me). Upon export, you have the option to select "MPEG2 DVD" (CS3). Then once in Encore, be sure that you have your video file linked to your audio. Always do a preview before burning your DVD. Also, if you are in a crunch, simply export your movie as a Quicktime file and import into Encore. You might suffer quality loss, but if you are in a crunch, sometimes this is better than nothing.

-JS