I Hate Premiere!! Crash Crash Crash - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 26th, 2008, 10:16 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Averdahl View Post
3.25GHz?

I assume that you have overklocked the processor which is i great way to chrash applications. IE, dont overklock. :)
Yup. I'll try pulling it back, too.

Thanks for all of the help, guys. I think 'were making progress
Craig Lieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 03:07 AM   #17
Major Player

Craig, Premiere is not the most stable app around, but CS3 is a LOT more stable than PPro 2. I was pulling my hair last year when I got a gig that required cutting 7 minutes from last day musical festival, and PPro 2 crashed like 5 times an hour.

I had it fixed by increasing CPU fan speed in my computer. Isolating your edit bay from internet (and thus avoiding system-invasive apps like antiviruses and firewalls) is also good idea.

Overclocking may work for gaming, but I recommend to stay away from it when working with Adobe apps. They are VERY picky about software and hardware stability.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 07:02 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Dont immediately think that a Mac will solve your problems!

I have been using a 4gb MacBook Pro with the Adobe CS3 Collection for the last 3 months and although I have produced several succesfull videos Premier is very temperamental - I can be editing away for hours and everything is fine and the very next day it will crash every 3-4 minutes and keep this up for the rest of the editing session - it is now at the stage where I manually save everytime I do anything like move a clip or trim audio!

I really like editing with Premier but im considering going with Final Cut Pro one day to see if its similar workflow and no crashing
Steve Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Fiala View Post
Craig, Premiere is not the most stable app around, but CS3 is a LOT more stable than PPro 2.
Wow, that seems odd to me. While CS3 has become MUCH more stable through updates, PPro 2 was always rock solid for me. I never worried about it, and it very rarely ever crashed.

One thing I've learned about PPro (and most NLEs) is that it really works best on a dedicated system. I've got a workstation and a laptop that do nothing more then editing (and capturing through OnLocation on the laptop), and I have very few problems. Both were built with editing in mind.
Eric Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #20
Trustee

Late to the party, but here's my experience with HDV. It can work, but not always. I run a 6600 Quad core with 4Gb RAM. There is nothing, repeat nothing loaded on it that's not critical to production. CS3, Colorvision, Contour (shuttle), printer driver, QT, Sound Forge and that's about it. All software and rivers are up to date.

HDV will work as long as you don't do much more than cut it. Color correction, multi-camera editing, tricky effects will eventually cause everything to go pear shaped. I did an 11 minute "webisode" in HDV for a race track I shoot for and everything went pretty well. You can see the results here: http://www.vimeo.com/1240445, but it's pretty simple stuff.

I originally cutting the races in HDV but it was crash, crash crash. I was losing a day a week to damage control. Went back to DV and got almost two days back which was good and delivery was SD DVD anyway, so nothing's really lost.

So... I'll cut something short and simple in HDV, but refuse to do anything longer. Can't wait until next month when my friend wants me to shoot his wedding in HD. As for Cineform, I've tried it three different times over the last six months and while it may be a good product, on Vista it's junk. It causes as many problems as it solves and their support team (which I think is one guy) has an average four business day response time with me. YMMV, but I cannot afford to have my business flat on its back that long. Cineform may work very well for some but no one gave me the secret decoder ring and I will not touch Cineform unless they change their SOP big time.

That's my experience, but then you may not want to be me.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 12:10 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I've got to say that my HDV experience has been far less painful. I've cut a couple short films both close to 20 minutes with effects, titles, you name it. I had very few problems - none that I can think of with one. The most annoying thing was just the long load time for the projects. And I'm working with native HDV in PPro - no Cineform.
Old June 28th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #22
Trustee

Ppro 3 crashed ALL the time for me. Then I changed over to x64; aside from working out a few kinks with Cineform (they were very helpful) Ppro hardly ever crashes anymore and the performance increase is huge. I also get to use the entirety of my 4GB of RAM, which is definitely crucial in longer projects.
Old June 28th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter View Post
... Then I changed over to x64...
Tempting thought based on your and others' opinions but I have fundamental problems moving to an environment that is unsupported by an application software vendor.

What I wish would happen is that Adobe would simply make CS3 work on Vista. I do get better results when editing HDV on my XP laptop. Those who recommend "upgrading" from Vista to XP may have cracked the secret code.
Old June 28th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I have PPro CS3 working on both an XP workstation and a laptop running Vista. It runs both great in both systems, however the laptop with Vista is pretty much dedicated to editing and production (using OnLocation, AE, Photoshop, etc.) so that might be why it works so well there.
Old June 28th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #25
Trustee

Eric... My desktop Vista machine is dedicated and has problems. My XP laptop has everything on it plus a dirty sock and runs like a deer. Go figure.

Sometimes it just sucks being me.
Old June 30th, 2008, 03:24 AM   #26
Major Player

One thing about PPro 2 is that it has never ever crashed on me without first saving the project and thus numerous hours of work. It was very stable anyway.

When CS3 crashes, it hardly ever saves your work, usually just immediately closes. Not nice. Much more stable with 3.2.0 update, but still is not as good as old PPro 2.

Plus the fact that so many effects from PPro 2 are left out of CS3 is a shame. This actually makes some of my projects not workable in CS3.
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 04:16 AM   #27
Regular Crew

I do a lot of troubleshooting of video systems for a living, and I have to say, that 99% of all "it's always crashing" faults are hardware related.

Usually either overclocking or a bad RAM stick.

Here's a couple of really easy things you can do right now.

Step1.
STOP OVERCLOCKING! :-) see if it makes a difference. Overclocking is great for gamers, but you're a serious professional - it's just not worth the hassle for a (maybe) 10% improvement.

Step2.
Take out half your ram, so it's only running on 2gb. See if it makes a difference. If there's no difference, then put it back in, and take out the other half. If it makes a difference, then you know it's a bad bit of ram you have.

Not enough memory doesn't crash healthy computers, it just slows them down. You can run windows in 256mb RAM, but it's just really slow, it doesn't crash.

now finally, say sorry to Premiere for your thread title. :-)

good luck!
Chris Coulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 05:22 AM   #28
Regular Crew

I have been using Premiere since 4.2 and today CS3 or CS4 is coming soon. Hardware is the may problem with video editing. SD or HDV is based on hardware setup. For the past, I used to setup my own PC. Now I switch to DELL. So far so good in production studio CS3.
Old June 30th, 2008, 05:41 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Cache for Premiere is on the C drive. Files are captured on the E drive, both audio and video.
Why Premiere cache files on C drive?. Those are video files, should be on the E drive.
Manuel Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 04:46 PM   #30
Major Player

Try Vegas before going to Mac. Longtime Premiere User, CS3 was much worse than CS2 for me, and slower as well. Vegas performance is stellar although I've had problems with 24f footage from XHA1, which I used intermediate files for DV performance with HDV and then swap the HDV files in for render (Gearshift) with "Great Success". Try the free Vegas trial.
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite