CS3 - how to export audio for use in Pro Tools at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 29th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #1
Major Player

CS3 - how to export audio for use in Pro Tools

I know Premiere can`t export OMF (another strike against them), but I need to find a way to get my short films audio to a Pro Tools audio guy in another state so he can work on it. Are there any ways to accomplish this?
Old July 29th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #2
Major Player

You can try exporting your timeline as AAF and cross your fingers - Premiere usually crashes doing this. You cannot specify handles and you will need to send your video footage along (try to shrink your project with Project Manager).

I can open use this workflow with Sony Vegas which I LOVE for audio work. You may or may not be able to open these AAFs in ProTools, I cannot confirm that. I wasn`t succesful with Nuendo.

Or, you can always export your audio as separate WAVs (or AIFFs) - one track per speaking person, FX, foley, music etc. Be sure you overlap these clips, simulating handles. You audio guy won`t love you for that, but you cannot do anything else with Premiere. That`s a fact of life.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #3
Major Player

simulating handles? What do you mean?
Old July 29th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #4
Major Player

It`s better if your audio guy has extra audio to work with. Like you have several seconds of video before and after the very shot you have in timeline, it`s wise to provide audio post with extra material for crossfades or simple fades.

Proper AAF or OMF export does this automatically (you can extend or shrink audio just as you are able to in video editing app), but AAFs from Premiere usually do not work in ProTools. So, you need to checkerboard your audio (person No. 1 on one track, person No. 2 on another track, and the same for any other audio that overlaps - your timeline will resemble a checkerboard) and extend all these clips from both sides.

This way your audio guy can crossfade lines and sounds even when he gets just a bunch of WAVs.

Oh, I nearly forgot: export all these tracks one by one, soloing them in Audio Mixer, so they are separate.
Old July 30th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #5
Major Player

how do I export AAF? The only audio export options I have are QT and AIFF
Old July 30th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #6
Major Player

How about reading the manual? I agree it`s not intuitive, it`s under Project menu, but then again, it`s ALL in Help.

If you are on Mac, you are out of luck. Export to AAF is buggy as hell and Windows only.
Old July 30th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #7
Major Player

I am on a mac, and I guess thats why I couldn't find it. Damn this program
Old July 30th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #8
Major Player

Yes, but it`s in Help nevertheless... even on a Mac. People really should learn to consult documentation before asking questions. It`s faster, too.

I guess you will have to go the AIFF route I described earlier.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite