CS3 How to move markers together with video clips in timeline? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 25th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Coleman View Post

Am I unique with this problem or does using nested sequences slow your work to an unbearable level with larger projects? Mike, do they create a problem for you? Others?
Hi Lloyd,

I think that everyone is unique in how they work, and how their machine is setup, and therein, is where the problem(s) really lies.

When I'm working on a project, I usually work on a single element at a time, something like Jose's sequence until I like what I've got, then put it away. I sort of use to do that as a project under the older Premiere method when sequences weren't available (an old dog's trick). As these pieces come together, I can try them out as a whole in one timeline. If I don't like what I see, nothing says I have to keep it; I can make notes, change sequences, whatever, it's fairly non-destructive at this point to the original sequences.

My editing machines are pretty lean and mean, without much for fluff. I do use a lot of editing shortcuts, too, and I don't notice any dragging that others report on Quad Cores (but I bet I just Jinxed that).

I'm guessing that CS4 is around the corner, and I'm hoping that the Scarlet letter is giving us some meat on this rev. They've been known to throw some bones.

My best.

Mike
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:40 AM   #17
Major Player

Hi Jose,

If you have created a shortcut through keyboard customization to:
"Marker->Set Clip Marker->Unnumbered/Next Available Numbered/Other Numbered"
you can use these shortcuts in the timeline panel - but you must select the clip you want the marker on in the timeline for them to work. If nothing is selected nothing will happen.

However, it doesn't matter if you create the clip markers in the source panel or in the timeline panel - they are exactly the same markers, and you still won't be able to insert comments for them as far as I know.
Jon Shohet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 03:37 AM   #18
Major Player

It seems so unreasonable that one cannot add comments to clip markers...

While you cannot double click a clip marker to see and edit comments like you can do with sequence markers, when you select "Go to clip marker->Numbered" a window opens with a list of all your clip markers which includes an empty "comments" field, which I do not know of any way to edit.

Crazy thing is, when you copy paste a Premiere sequence into After Effects, all sequence and clip marker are transfered perfectly into composition and layer markers. In After Effects, you can easily add comments for layer markers. If you now copy paste the After Effects composition back into Premiere you will see that the clip markers now show the comments that you wrote in After Effects!!!
So theoretically there is no reason why you should not be able to write clip marker comments in Premiere?!
Maybe someone with some programming experience could figure this one out...
Jon Shohet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:15 AM   #19
Major Player

Jon (and others), please submit a feature request on Adobe website. Comments in Premiere are inadequte in more way - they need to display in source/record views, not only when double-clicked.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:52 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Shohet View Post
Hi Jose,

If you have created a shortcut through keyboard customization to:
"Marker->Set Clip Marker->Unnumbered/Next Available Numbered/Other Numbered"
you can use these shortcuts in the timeline panel - but you must select the clip you want the marker on in the timeline for them to work. If nothing is selected nothing will happen.
Hello again,

Your right, but the markers will be clip markers, I want them to be timeline markers so I can put comments in them

Quote:
However, it doesn't matter if you create the clip markers in the source panel or in the timeline panel - they are exactly the same markers, and you still won't be able to insert comments for them as far as I know.
No quite right, timeline markers can be commented, clip markers can't for a reason or logic I don't understand.
Jose Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:56 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Shohet View Post
It seems so unreasonable that one cannot add comments to clip markers...

While you cannot double click a clip marker to see and edit comments like you can do with sequence markers, when you select "Go to clip marker->Numbered" a window opens with a list of all your clip markers which includes an empty "comments" field, which I do not know of any way to edit.

Crazy thing is, when you copy paste a Premiere sequence into After Effects, all sequence and clip marker are transfered perfectly into composition and layer markers. In After Effects, you can easily add comments for layer markers. If you now copy paste the After Effects composition back into Premiere you will see that the clip markers now show the comments that you wrote in After Effects!!!
So theoretically there is no reason why you should not be able to write clip marker comments in Premiere?!
Maybe someone with some programming experience could figure this one out...

What you notice is even crazier, that you have to depend on another program to do what we need. As suggested we need to make a request to see if they fix these little details, like treat all markers the same (be able to comment them) and also be able to move clips and markers together, maybe more than 99 numbered comments, etc...I think we all like that editors are as much as flexible as possible.
Jose Milan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite