DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Using 2.35:1 Aspect ratio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/128455-using-2-35-1-aspect-ratio.html)

Julian Frost August 21st, 2008 03:46 PM

Using 2.35:1 Aspect ratio

Using my Canon XH-A1, I turned on the Aspect Ratio guide to 2.35:1 and shot some footage in Canon's 30F mode. I know that the aspect guides don't do anything to the actual footage recorded to tape, but is there a setting in PPro to display safe guides in 2.35:1 aspect ratio?

I did some additional searching around, and found the Crop effect in PPro. This seems like an easy solution! By capturing some footage with the aspect guide on and eyeballing it, it looks like cropping 10% from the top and bottom achieves the proper aspect ratio (2.35:1). Is this about right?

Mitchell Skurnik August 21st, 2008 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian Frost (Post 923206)
Using my Canon XH-A1, I turned on the Aspect Ratio guide to 2.35:1 and shot some footage in Canon's 30F mode. I know that the aspect guides don't do anything to the actual footage recorded to tape, but is there a setting in PPro to display safe guides in 2.35:1 aspect ratio?

I did some additional searching around, and found the Crop effect in PPro. This seems like an easy solution! By capturing some footage with the aspect guide on and eyeballing it, it looks like cropping 10% from the top and bottom achieves the proper aspect ratio (2.35:1). Is this about right?

• Project
  • Project Settings
  • General
  • Set the Title Safe area to what you think is correct

Julian Frost August 22nd, 2008 01:32 PM

Thanks Mitchell.

Mike Gunter August 22nd, 2008 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Julian,

Mitchell has something there, and I think you can use an image as a template to parse a ratio out to fit the aspect you want.

Here is a png file that could help. It is from the Wiki site and is used by permission.

The purple image is 2.39:1, quite close enough for output.

Mike

Julian Frost August 22nd, 2008 02:27 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting the PNG. I'll give it a try and see how closely it matches my "eyeballing". Basically, what I did, was put a sheet of newspaper in front of the camera, turned on the aspect ratio guide and captured some footage. Then, I looked at the captured footage and compared it to the live image in the camera's LCD screen. I noted the position of the Aspect Guides on the LCD screen relative to the print on the newspaper. I then simply used PPro's Crop effect to crop the top and bottom of the captured footage so that cropped portions matched what I saw in the live LCD view. This came out to 10% at the top and bottom. I'venot used this aspect ratio before, and it definitely adds a certain something to the composition. I can't wait to shoot some landscape footage with it this coming "weekend" (I work weekends so today is my Monday, unfortunately).

Mike Gunter August 22nd, 2008 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Julian,

You're welcome, but do remember that your show is still a HDV show at that aspect. It will have to be letter-boxed to simulate actual viewing at that ratio.

You could just overlay a matte like similar to this over the project when you're done.

My best,

Mike

Julian Frost August 22nd, 2008 03:26 PM

Mike,

I think we're achieving the same thing, but by different means. When I use the Crop effect, it looks like it's placing black bars at the top and bottom (and side, if you want it to), just like the matte you posted. PPro doesn't crop the center section and expand it to fill the frame, or anything like that. The footage is still HDV (1440x1080) and when I output it to an MPEG2 file, it has black bars (letterboxing) on the top and bottom. If I were to use the matte you so generously provided, it would be the same, no?

Mitchell Skurnik August 26th, 2008 09:11 PM

Can you post a 10 second clip of your footage?

Julian Frost August 28th, 2008 12:29 AM

Sure... here's a clip.

When I uploaded it to Exposureroom, I told it to crop to 2.35:1 aspect ratio which cropped the mattes.

Here's another clip, with the mattes in place.

Martin Chab September 2nd, 2008 01:30 PM

just for reference: 2,40 (or 2,39 if you prefer) from HD format is 1920x817. Thats the preferred size the lab request to transfer to film.