DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Timline Playback problem - Silent Gaps for a second, then returns? Audio Drops out? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/128648-timline-playback-problem-silent-gaps-second-then-returns-audio-drops-out.html)

Tyson Persall August 24th, 2008 07:56 PM

Timline Playback problem - Silent Gaps for a second, then returns? Audio Drops out?

When playing the timeline in CS3 - The sound from one track will stop playing then return after a few seconds.
These playback gaps are an annoying problem that happens only after editing for about 30 minutes. The gaps also seem to happen on only one of my audio tracks at a time. So if i have 3 audio tracks, i will loose one track while still hearing the other two playing... This problem is random and can happen at any moment.

The only solution i have found is to restart and re-open premiere and start over.

Could this be my Audio hardware?
I have a dual boot of WinXP and Vista 64bit and this problem happens on both partitions.

Specs:
Intel Q6600
MB: Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6
8GB RAM ( in vista 64 only)
Nvida Gforce 8800GT
4 drive RAID array

Bill Engeler August 25th, 2008 12:49 AM

Tyson - You're not alone. This appears to be a fairly common problem, judging from posts here and on the Adobe forums. What format are you using? It seems confined to HDV and/or Cineform projects, not with DV. It also appears to be more common with, but not restricted to multi-camera timelines.

I have the same problem as you with intermittent dropouts, as well as another sound problem specific to Cineform projects, but as yet have found no solution. Looking at the other posts, it appears that one thing everyone has in common is a quadcore processor.

I'm not an expert, but from others' experiences, your audio hardware and drivers likely aren't the problem, but something inside Premiere is.

Tyson Persall August 25th, 2008 01:13 AM

Ahh Nuts. Thanks man.

I am using HDV, but not Cineform, and YES, i have a quad-core processor.

So then I guess we are all waiting for a patch update from Adobe....

Julian Frost August 25th, 2008 12:56 PM

I hate adding a "me too," post... but... Me too!

It only seems to happen to me on the longer projects (greater than 30 minutes on the HDV timeline) and after I've been editing for a while. I'm guessing it's a memory leak that's causing the problems. I'm also editing on a quad-core system.

Jiri Fiala August 25th, 2008 01:36 PM

Me too. Onboard or external soundcard, DV or HDV or Matrox RTX2, no difference. Just another Premiere annoyance.

Paul Curtis August 26th, 2008 06:35 AM

allow me to add a 'me too' as well. in the hope someone from adobe scans these. Im quad core, prospect and a sizable timeline too.

cheers
paul

Mitchell Skurnik August 26th, 2008 09:20 PM

This will happen on my system too. I have tracked the issue down to the firewire buss. If you have a crappy firewire card, cable, and not enough power in your system (power supply) drop outs will happen. I have seen this happen on both mac and PC's. Premiere is not the only program, quicktime, windows media player, VLC, and other audio editing programs have drop out issues.

Julian Frost August 27th, 2008 10:41 AM

Hi Mitchell,

I don't think this is the problem, at least on my system. I'm only using firewire for the initial capture from the camera (Canon XH-A1, using HDVSplit, not PPro). The rest of my workflow involves using external drives connected by eSATA.

Greg Laves August 27th, 2008 08:48 PM

I experienced small gaps of missing audio on a 15 min timeline. At first, the audio was fine. I threw a video effect on another clip and rendered it. That was when I experienced the audio problems. Closing CS3 and re-opening it cured the problem. Quad core, 2 gig of ram, internal HD, operating on Vista.

Jiri Fiala August 28th, 2008 05:31 PM

BTW the latest Avid MC 3 does this too... :) All NLEs have quirks and bugs.

Stuart Graham December 8th, 2008 04:55 PM

Add me to the list, I get the same problem. Loss of audio for a few seconds. The problem is constant when using the trim monitor making editing really difficult for timing the cut with dialogue.

I'm using a Cineform intermediate at high quality and I have a Core 2 Quad processor.

Grr! I wish I'd just stuck with Avid Xpress DV and SD while I had that working!

The grass isn't always greener :(

Anyone found a fix yet?