DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   CS3 - Replacing SD footage with HDV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/128946-cs3-replacing-sd-footage-hdv.html)

John Knight August 28th, 2008 08:01 PM

CS3 - Replacing SD footage with HDV

Hi guys.

I'm using the Sony Z7. My laptop can edit SD nicely, but struggles with any advanced HDV timelines.

I downconvert my HDV footage, on capture, to SD, edit in SD, output to normal SD DVD.

IF the client wishes to upgrade to HDV, I want to be able to re-capture the tapes in HDV, and "replace" the SD media and full timeline/filters etc, with this HDV footage.

I don't think this is possible with CS3 - ie: you can't convert a project with SD settings to an HDV, then relink media.

Is there another way to do this??

Anthony Smith August 28th, 2008 09:08 PM

i thought the upscale dvd players should do the job (HDMI input output).

After the customers got their dvds they wouldn't bother to come back for a hd format.
They will NEVER going to pay for converting from SD to HD.

John Knight August 28th, 2008 09:42 PM

Awesome response Anthony, cheers.

What medications are you currently taking? LOL

Graham Hickling August 28th, 2008 10:01 PM

I've had some attempts at doing this - starting with an SD dub of the original HD footage, edited in an SD project. As you know, if you then offline the SD and relink back to HD the resulting image expands beyond the project frame.

However.... if you save the first project and create a new HD one, you can then import the first project into the second and pull the sequence onto the new HD timeline. Rescale the image so it fits the frame properly (the missing edges will reappear) and then render out to HD.

I suspect however that there may be a better way to do this ... I'll be interested in what other replies you get.

By the way, I grew up in Christchurch!

Anthony Smith August 28th, 2008 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Knight (Post 926440)
Awesome response Anthony, cheers.

What medications are you currently taking? LOL

medications? LOL i'm talking about what customer want, not what videographer want. :)

John Knight August 28th, 2008 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Hickling (Post 926446)
I suspect however that there may be a better way to do this ... I'll be interested in what other replies you get.

Hi Graham! Wow... yes, I've almost got it.

Edit in glorious SD with SD footage.
Start a new HDV project and IMPORT the SD project
Cut and paste the imported timeline onto an HDV sequence (important step)
Make SD footage OFFLINE
Link with identically captured HDV footage

Now, only problem is that my cuts are all a couple of seconds out - must be something to do with captured timecode????

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Hickling (Post 926446)
By the way, I grew up in Christchurch!

Cool! Sleepy old town ain't it. Travelled the world... met a girl, settled back here. Loving it.

Paul Leung August 28th, 2008 11:23 PM

I did that once. If I remember correctly, the workflow was like this:

- finish editing in sd
- use the project manager to "Create New Trimmed Project", check both excluded unused clips and make offline option, then click OK.
- Create a new HDV project.
- import the trimmed project into the new HDV project
- batch capture the offline clips (HDV)

The SD sequences are automatically in HDV. I don't remember the need to copy the old sequence to a new HD sequence.

I did not experience any time shift in cuts.

John Knight August 29th, 2008 02:55 AM

Hey Paul - it worked! Thanks heaps.

Everything comes across... except titles. They appear small - I guess in SD aspect. Probably need to recreate these??

John Knight September 13th, 2008 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Leung (Post 926467)
I did not experience any time shift in cuts.

HELP! I thought I had it sussed... but I'm getting about a 3 second shift in cuts... can't find any solution when Googling the problem... anyone got any ideas?