From Premier Pro CS3 to Encore at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 29th, 2008, 10:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

From Premier Pro CS3 to Encore

Hi Guys,

Is there a way to export my video files from Adobe Premier CS3 to Encore for menu and finally burning it to a DVD without rendering it? The fact that I have already rendered it in Premier, I see no need rendering it again when exporting it into Encore. It takes too much time over 8 hours for hour and half video.
John Okafor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #2
Trustee

Rendering is irrelevant for Encore. For Encore you need to transcode or export as AVI.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #3
Major Player

Export from Premiere as MPEG2-DVD in the Adobe Media Encoder. That way you won't have to transcode again in Encore.
Old August 29th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #4
Trustee

Harm's right. Usually is. There's a subtle difference in nomenclature between "rendering" and "transcoding". Rendering is something you typically do inside Premier. Transcoding is the conversion of a file into another format. In this case its to a file format compatible with DVD standards.

The truth is you're going to have to render either way you go. If you go thru AME, Premier will internally render out transitions and effects as part of the AME transcoding process. It's confusing, I know.

I like to render out SD projects into a single DV file for archiving and export to tape. I will then import that avi into Encore as a timeline and let it transcode internally. Since I do a lot of color correction, I like to compartmentalize the steps and in rendering out a DV file I know that I have a solid master. I've also found that the automatic SD transcode settings in Encore will generate files that fill the DVD media nearly completely, and in theory creates the highest possible file based upon space available on the DVD. Transcoding thru AME results in a file that is normally only about 3/4 to 4/5 the size available on the DVD. This implies lower resulting video quality. Based upon what my old eyes can see, importing an avi directly into Encore looks better.

BTW... 8 hours is a long time to render and transcode that much video. You might look into beefing up your system. I can render 2 hours of video that's cc'd with complex AE comps in a little over two hours. Transcoding that video then takes about 90 minutes.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 06:23 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot guys. It looks like there is no way around it. I guess I have to look into getting another system to speed up things for me.
John Okafor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 06:28 AM   #6
Major Player

Like mike said, If you do MPEG2-DVD from Premiere once it is in Encore you will not have to transcode again.

You have to do it once but only once. Also set the DVD properties to use PCM audio.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite