DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   MPEG-2 choppy playback (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/130905-mpeg-2-choppy-playback.html)

Brian Tori September 16th, 2008 07:04 AM

MPEG-2 choppy playback

When playing back mpeg-2 files within CS3, the files appear to skip frames or have a choppy motion every few seconds. This is apparent mostly on pans or tilts. The files appear to playback smoothly on a video with no motion. I'm having difficulty on determining whether it is a graphics card issue or a processor/HDD issue. These files are HDV quality from a HDD camcorder. When playing DV files, the motion is smooth with no glitches. I've tried playing the files from an internal SATA drive as well as from an external firewire drive and the result is still the same. The processor upon playback is under 50% usage so that leads me to believe it is not a CPU issue. I've also re-installed the OS and updated graphics drivers with no change.

Specs:
Premiere Pro CS3
Core 2 Duo 2.3ghz, 2GB Ram
ATI HD 2600PRO 512MB Graphics
JVC GZ-HD7 Camcorder
MPEG-2 1440x1080 29.97 files

Matthew Fink September 16th, 2008 01:22 PM

Have you tried viewing what the footage looks like through an actual video monitor? I have had some footage that looks choppy in PPROCS3 but on my monitor out it looks fine...it could have to do with a refresh rate maybe or something to that nature.

It sounds like its a video card issue but nothing big - so I would try on an external monitor and if its not choppy then that should prove its prob the video card.

Good Luck

Brian Tori September 16th, 2008 02:54 PM

The files do play fine directly from the camera to a monitor. The problem is when it enters Premiere. I even tried two different video cards but it ended up with same result. I tried refresh rates, disabling video card options, playback options in Premiere. The glitches do not happen with DV files so it has to be something other than graphics card.

Matthew Fink September 17th, 2008 09:19 AM

What I meant to say was in premiere test play back to an external video monitor...not through the camera - unless you use the camera for a pass through which is fine.

Brian Tori September 17th, 2008 11:03 AM

The graphics card is providing output to a second monitor so the problem exists on my 2nd NTSC monitor also. What's baffling is that the problem isn't there with a DV project. The Premiere preview monitor is smooth and so is output to a DV device. I wish I could monitor externally through firewire with HDV but unfortunately this is not possible. With HDV I have only two monitoring options: dual-head graphics card or a video card like the Blackmagic Intensity or similar. I have a feeling the output from a Intensity would be smooth like DV, but this still doesn't solve the graphics card issue on the Premiere preview.

Matthew Fink September 18th, 2008 05:48 AM

without the ability to actually send out to a true video monitor you have three options for further testing... Export a full HD clip and play it back on the computer (may still prove to be the same), export a clip and burn it to DVD (bluray if you can waste $13 - but not needed, just downsample) or export via firewire right back to tape...

If you burn a DVD and its choppy or you export it back and it is choppy then it could be more than just a graphics card issue...

Do you ONLY use this comp for editing - no web browsing? Waht other software do you have installed - firewalls/antivirus, etc? All can greatly slow down video. I know you say DV runs smooth, but it works differently then HDV and is handled differently to an extent.

Brian Tori September 18th, 2008 09:57 AM

Thanks for your input. I've already tried various output options and the exported file to mpeg or to DVD is fine. The problem lies in the way Premiere handles playback of the files. The playback is getting corrupted through a break in the stream or something to that extent. Or the graphics card is not handling the display for some reason. The machine is running only the essentials with no background services or virus protection.