HDV using CS4 vs Cineform aspect HD vs ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 29th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #1
New Boot

HDV using CS4 vs Cineform aspect HD vs ?

Hi Im struggling a bit with HDV I have a fairly powerful computer 3.2GHz core2duo 4gb RAM 8800 GTX 786MB. So I would think that CS3 would be able to run and render pretty easily using CS3 HDV settings although everything seemed decidedly slow. I have tried AspectHD and it run fine although I have to pay 500$(£250). I really don't want to spend that money since I bought CS3 and would rather spend my money in other places BUT Aspect HD for anyone looking is really good. Will CS4 solve my issues? Is there any other alternatives?
Marko Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

What are you using for a video card. As I understand it, video card makes a difference in Adobe programs.

But you could go to NeoHDV at half the price. You won't get special filters and such that Cineform packs with Aspect, but you will be able to capture and edit with Cineform's latest HDV codec.
Old September 29th, 2008, 10:05 PM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

NEO is not a good choice for users wanting performance in Premiere Pro, for that you need Aspect or Prospect HD. Aspect/Prospect comes with much more than "special filters", it is a playback accelerator for Premiere.
Old October 5th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Aspect works wonders for performance. It is worth the price.
Old October 8th, 2008, 01:21 AM   #5
Major Player

Adobe has made no claims about CS4 that would lead one to expect a performance increase for HDV editing. If you want faster HDV editing, you will need to purchase a more advanced solution. AspectHD is more that sufficient for most HDV work, and the Matrox RTx2 would be the next step beyond that, with hardware acceleration for HDV.
Old October 9th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #6
Major Player

I'd add a vote for aspect or prospect in premier. just does what it says, no fuss.

i cannot see how HDV could ever be edited as well as cineform because one is an intraframe codec and the other is frame based.

No matter how you cut it with HDV if you want frame X the NLE has to jump to the nearest full frame and then scan forward creating the I frames until it reaches frame X. Obviously some NLEs do a very good job, but they'd do a better job if the video was just frame based. It just adds more processing work for the NLE which you cannot avoid.

I'd always convert HDV or XDCAM into something frame based.

cheers
paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McCarthy View Post
Adobe has made no claims about CS4 that would lead one to expect a performance increase for HDV editing. If you want faster HDV editing, you will need to purchase a more advanced solution. AspectHD is more that sufficient for most HDV work, and the Matrox RTx2 would be the next step beyond that, with hardware acceleration for HDV.
The Matrox RTx2 is very impressive, but I choose to go with CineForm Aspect HD so that I could also edit on a laptop. The $500 is a small price to pay when you start adding up your hours waiting for Premier without Aspect HD.

Roger
Roger Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I use Cineform Prospect 2K

I vote for Cineform as well. Can't edit HDV on Premiere without it. Very nice solution.
Norman Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #9
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Norman,

Thank you for your postive feedback. Did you know Prospect 2K user get Prospect 4K as a free upgrade.
Old October 15th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #10
Major Player

I also use ProspectHD and have no problems with it.
Highly recommended.
Old October 28th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Brun View Post
I also use ProspectHD and have no problems with it.
Highly recommended.
I agree 100% with the above. Cineform woks flawlessly. IT makes HDV editing as fast and easy as regular DV editing. I have a 3 year old AMD Athalon X2 4200 (dual core) system with 2 gigs of ram and Win XP pro. I haven't used much more then 2 tracks of video with 4 of audio, but I was still getting very close to real time performance, even with my somewhat older computer.
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite