DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Deployed soldiers Adobe CS3 keeps crashing.. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/136246-deployed-soldiers-adobe-cs3-keeps-crashing.html)

Christopher Feder October 18th, 2008 06:34 AM

Deployed soldiers Adobe CS3 keeps crashing..

Ok, So I put together a photo and video montage and once I imported it into another project It kept crashing after a few minutes, am I doing something wrong?? I try to import some projects into another so I can put them together and thats where the problem starts. Should I be making each chapter or scene in a different sequence or project? What is the best way to organize a film so I dont have to keep closing and opening projects? Also, after I save a project and come back to it and there is a photo or video missing what might be the problem there and how do I fix it?

Chris

Mike Gunter October 18th, 2008 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Feder (Post 952725)
Ok, So I put together a photo and video montage and once I imported it into another project It kept crashing after a few minutes, am I doing something wrong?? I try to import some projects into another so I can put them together and thats where the problem starts. Should I be making each chapter or scene in a different sequence or project? What is the best way to organize a film so I dont have to keep closing and opening projects? Also, after I save a project and come back to it and there is a photo or video missing what might be the problem there and how do I fix it?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Did the project work well as a free-standing project? If that piece is completed and working well, export as an avi (you don't mention the CODEC/type of project - that stuff matters and would go a long way in helping you out) to import into another project if the media is completed - that would solve most problems.

Why do you want to put a Chapter in a scene? I'm not following your question concerning organization.

If a photo/video is coming up "missing" the likely cause is that it was accidentally deleted from the original file, or it was mismatched from a file(s) from several drives: joe.jpg reside on d:/jpgs and k:/jpgs, but are different files, or you're using an earlier version of the Premiere Project Title Version of the project which doesn't have the files inserted. There are other possibilities, too.

My best,

Mike

Christopher Feder October 18th, 2008 08:41 AM

Hi Mike, Thanks for the response. Im not sure what you mean regarding the CODEC/Type of Project. I know that I had to copy and past a file from one Adobe to the CS3 after I was unable to get any audio from some of my Panasonic and Sony files.

I am calling each segment in the film a chapter. Some of the Projects have more then one sequences and others only have one. In one project I have one sequence with 66 video clips and some photos with music. Everything I go to Render it freezes up between 9% and 31%. Can the amount of media impact the render process that much?

Also, sometimes when I watch a project before rendering it give me a "serious error has occurred" message.

On a different note, if someone comes out to your location for a CS3 course, do they need to bring a computer?

Chris

Mike Gunter October 18th, 2008 08:58 AM

Hi Chris,

"Im not sure what you mean regarding the CODEC/Type of Project. I know that I had to copy and past a file from one Adobe to the CS3 after I was unable to get any audio from some of my Panasonic and Sony files."

I'm unclear to what you're cutting and pasting, and from what to what, but a CODEC - COpression/DECompression scheme is necessary for each file type in order to edit video and audio.

"I am calling each segment in the film a chapter. Some of the Projects have more then one sequences and others only have one. In one project I have one sequence with 66 video clips and some photos with music. Everything I go to Render it freezes up between 9% and 31%. Can the amount of media impact the render process that much?"

Chapters are also the moniker for divisions in DVDs, so be aware that the term is used for that, too. You might be hassling the project more than you need to. You can just make sequences for these, rather than make new projects.

The amount shouldn't matter, but it often gets unwieldy, sometimes it's just easier to deal with smaller chunks. Premiere and other NLEs crash (usually) when they get data they don't understand, instructions they don't understand, CPUs that are underutilized or over utilized, drives that can't keep up, data that is missing, conflicting instructions from the operating system, and some others that sometimes have to do with installation order and missing CODECs.

"Also, sometimes when I watch a project before rendering it give me a "serious error has occurred" message."

All errors that cause a crash are serious... Most error messages are cryptic and generally should have little smiley faces on them for all the good they really do.

"On a different note, if someone comes out to your location for a CS3 course, do they need to bring a computer?"

We have computers up and running here...

My best,

Mike

Tripp Woelfel October 19th, 2008 07:39 AM

Christopher... Your experience sounds similar to one I've had on my system. Although there's no way to be 100% certain, my problem apparently was an audio codec problem.

I'm going to guess that you have audio in your timeline from different sources/cuts/takes as I do in mine. I ended up rendering out the audio tracks to a single file, then dropping that file over the audio in the original timeline and it solved the problem. If you wanted to preserve the timeline with the original audio so you could make changes later, make a copy of the timeline and replace the audio on the new one.

This workaround has worked successfully for 3-4 months. The recommendation from Adobe tech support is to uninstall PP, then uninstall any other programs with audio codecs, like Winamp, SoundForge and the like, then reinstall PP. I haven't done this yet due to time constraints and the fact that the workaround gets the job done.

Oh... and I'm going to respectfully disagree with Mike. "Amount" does matter. I often work with projects containing eight or more hours of raw SD footage. As I work through the project's sections, color correcting, multi-cam editing, sweetening audio and adding dynamically linked AE comps, the system can often slow and run into problems. If I break the project up into smaller sections, the issues disappear. To be fair, I'm asking PP to keep track of an awful lot of information in such a large project.

You may be experiencing similar issues on your system and your critical size threshold may be lower than mine if your system is a lower power system than my Quad Core Q6600 2.3gHz 4GB memory machine.

Hope that helps.

Mike Gunter October 19th, 2008 10:49 AM

Hi Tripp,

Disagreeing is fine, but I think we ought to look to where we agree instead of disagree.

I haven't noticed any problems with my bins full with up to 10 hours or so of HD content from DVCPro and a bunch of audio and graphic files. But if there are other things afoot - errant CODEC for example or mismatched content, it certainly would be a nuisance trying to keep up with that much media and the bad CODECs.

Your suggestion about the audio is definitely a possibility, my last phrase "installation order and missing CODECs" goes to it. Installation order addresses how a system is setup to deal with those things, but work flow and prepping media can really fix that before it gets to Premiere and make those problems go away in Chris's case and possibly in yours, too. (Tip - install the most important software last; it reorders the priority of the system CODECs.)

A good rule of thumb is never to give an NLE any media you haven't told it you weren't give it. If you setup up a 48KHz audio project, you ought to give it a 48KHz audio file. One can get audio from a lot of sources, but plain vanilla wav audio (on a Windows system) converted from Audition or SoundForge or WinAmp to a 48KHz 16bit file stereo file will go a long way in making the audio compatible.(As an example, if Chris downloaded some song from the Internet in a format that Premiere can't really read well, it should be transcoded.) Converting all audio to a standard prior to importing will make CODEC problems vanish.

You can have similar problems with stills, too. Some graphics need to be conformed to RBG formats at a bit depth that Premiere can understand.

Prepping files prior to importing will make Premiere work smarter, not harder.

My best,

Mike