titles in premiere at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old October 24th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #1
New Boot

titles in premiere

Hey
im doing a project that needs quite a bit of titles on screen with information about whats happening. I find the titles in premiere a bit annoying, for example what if i want to change the font of all my titles, do i have to edit each title separately?
is there a more clever way to do it, or maybe (gulp) a plugin?
id preferably like to do it inside premiere, so no third party apps please

cheerios
Olas Polare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #2
Trustee

Wavering minds are not supported. You choose a template and font, make your titles and you are ready. If you waver and decide to change fonts you have to change each and everyone individually.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #3
Trustee

Harm's right. Pick or build a template and stay with it. That's the fastest way inside PP.

I know that you said no outside apps, but if you have CS3, do your titles in After Effects and then use Dynamic Link to get them into PP. That's generally what I do and it works for me.

I find that Premier's title tool is a little unstable and will occasionally crash PP. That's another reason I stay away from it unless I'm doing only the simplest of titles.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 11:09 AM   #4
New Boot

aight might try and do some kind of a script then that generates the titles for where where i have more dynamic control.

is it just me or is it a bit crazy theres not even a template for doing regular subtitles?
Olas Polare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas Polare View Post
is it just me or is it a bit crazy theres not even a template for doing regular subtitles?
Not so crazy, since it makes no sense to add a template for something that basic but also that customized to personal taste. Do it yourself within 10 seconds. Why do you need a template for that?
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #6
Inner Circle

While you do have to edit each title separately if you want to change them all, there is a bit of a shortcut, which is to save one font the way you want it in your title style library using the fly-out menu.

Then each time you open a title you want to change, just select the text and click on the new style -- it'll conform the text to everything you changed in the last one.

And obviously each time you create a new title you can do it based on the one you just had open using the "New Title based on Current Title" icon in the upper left corner.

You're probably already doing all this, but I'm so dumb it took me like a year to discover these tools. Previously if I made a change, I went into every stinkin' title and changed color, font, size, drop shadow individually until I was ready to pull my hair out.

I tried doing titles in AE, but for me it was so ungainly and confusing I went back to Premiere for this. Besides, AE doesn't quite offer all the font customizations (i.e. sheen) that Premiere does.... unless I missed that as well.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
Besides, AE doesn't quite offer all the font customizations (i.e. sheen) that Premiere does.... unless I missed that as well.
AE can do nearly everything except save the stock market. I would be surprised if there's much the titler can do that AE cannot. Now the titler may do it more easily but AE lets you save nearly everything you do as a preset so once you create a look you like, you can apply it to as many comps as you like.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Yeah, like I said, I probably just didn't look hard enough....the menus and spin-downs are a bit different so I probably just didn't dig deep enough to find sheen and strokes and things like that.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite