Unknown error with Media Encoder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old November 14th, 2008, 02:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Unknown error with Media Encoder

Hi all, i have had Premiere Pro CS3 give me an "Unknown error" when trying to export a film using Media Encoder recently. It would almost finish rendering, then pop up with the error notice when I tried exporting to MP4 and WMV. I can confirm that it works exporting to MPEG and I haven't tried any others. Has anyone else had this problem and how do you fix it?
Colin Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:34 PM   #2
New Boot

Unkown Error

Colin:

We have Premier (CS3 and 1.5) on two different machines. This error occurs from time to time with both systems. We have found that you need to save and close your project. Exit Premier and shut down (don't re-start, actually shut down). Turn the computer back on, open Premier, and then render out your project. Do this every time and you will not see the error again. (at least we have not). The best explanation seems to be that shutting down clears something in some area of the computer that interferes with something related to Premier in someway??????(Ha!) It does work though.

Hope it works for you. Let us know!

Best,

Kevin Fox
AATR Video
Kevin Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice - I'd never thought about that! I ended up exporting as an mpeg as it was just for a "backup" youtube version. I will keep this (and all the other advice i've gotten on this forum :)) in mind during future projects.
Colin Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:23 AM   #4
Major Player

Kevin's method works for me too!
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Craven View Post
Kevin's method works for me too!
I always do this for big projects. PP CS3 has a significant memory leak and Windows is notorious for them. Starting with a clean boot means your system will start its render with about as pristine a system as possible.

If this doesn't work all the time, suspect your audio codecs. Workaround is to render out the audio in the timeline to a wav file in the same format as the project and replace the original audio with it. It also solves other performance quirks.

For example, I was editing native HDV with a 2-camera multi-cam timeline nested into a timeline with other HDV footage and audio for cutaway shots. When working around in the timeline, the CTI would lag a bit when dragging it around and playback would not start for 2-3 seconds after I pressed play. Once I rendered and replaced the audio, the delays disappeared completely.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #6
Regular Crew

sorry to dig this up but i suffer from the same problem. unfortunately Alans workaround did nothing for me :( i can't even render previews in Adobe Premiere.

All attempts of reinstalling etc. have failed as well. this just happened out of the blue

any ideas?
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:00 AM   #7
Trustee

You apparently have bigger problems. I've been there too. My first recommendation would be to search the Adobe site support section for system optimization tips. Recommendations will include using selective startup, not running anti virus software and more. If you're running Vista 32-bit, also investigate using the "3GB switch". Google it for more info. System optimization can help a lot.

The other alternative is more drastic. Uninstalling the software and re-installing it. I've done that too. In fact, I went so far as to blow away the OS and start completely from scratch. For the most part, things have worked well since then.

Without really understanding the technical inner workings of PP I cannot know why but everything tells me that PP loves memory and hates running out of it. Freeing up memory for PP to use will make it happier.
Old October 6th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #8
Regular Crew

at least i am not alone...

i am trying a fresh installation... thanks for your advice!
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:26 AM   #9
Regular Crew

well, i've reinstalled my entire system. just to have the very same error yet again :(

i can't render anything. has there been a rather new update for adobe software or windows that can create this error?
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #10
Trustee

I don't think there's been any update for CS3 in a long while, but I haven't checked recently.

If you've reinstalled the OS and software, and have followed all of Adobe's system optimization techniques and still have problems, your trouble might be in the hardware. Memory is a likely culprit. You can removed and reseat the memory, proper precautions observed of course, and try rendering again. If it persists, find some diagnostic tools and run them overnight to see what happens.
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:14 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I am working with CS4

I've got already 24 hours of memtest behind me as well as 24 hour of prime95 - no errors.

I Really need to finish up my project. When i am rendering a preview in premiere that contains an dynamic link AE composition it also aborts with 'unknown error'. when i click the red X in the lower right corner i get the message 'Time out Rendering dynamic link media'

Is there a specific guide for CS4 in terms of optimizing? My System is running on Win7 x64 with a QuadCore 3.2ghz INtel CPU and 8 GB Ram. I am using this AE Composition for about 2 years now without any problems - it simply just stopped working :(
Old October 9th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #12
Major Player

I had this problem in CS4 and the work around that worked for me was to set up a new user profile in Windows. Log in with that profile and it worked for me. There is also a scrubbing utility on the adobe site that will fix this problem. I will see if I can find it for you but for now try creating a new user on the machine.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #13
Major Player

Try here as well

Adobe - Adobe CS4 Clean Script
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #14
Regular Crew

thanks but i am still stuck :(

i've noticed that when i disable motion blur and frame blending in my AE Composition, everything renders fine.

So it seems like a 'performance/memory' problem. Are there any 'safe'settings for AE that allow the best ram usage?
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #15
Major Player

Daniel... can't you simply render your AE comp and drop it into your Premiere project?

If so, that eliminates your AE project as a source of your woes.

When you have time, you should try Dynamic Linking with a fresh AE project into your existing Premiere project and see if it succeeds.

In terms of beating a deadline and getting things done, I would just render your AE project.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite