DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Still no multitrack editing in SB/Audition? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/138238-still-no-multitrack-editing-sb-audition.html)

Jiri Fiala November 22nd, 2008 02:37 AM

Still no multitrack editing in SB/Audition?

Am I missing something or Adobe still doesn`t provide a way to edit whole sequence of audio, like FCP with Soundtrack Pro can? What`s the point of multitrack in Soundbooth if we can still edit only in clip-by-clip fashion?

I would love to be able to do finer audio editing in Soundbooth/Audition. Premiere audio editing capabilities are great (better than any other editing app), but cannot be matched by a dedicated audio app.

Tripp Woelfel November 22nd, 2008 09:49 AM

I haven't worked with CS4 yet but I'll put forward a slightly klugy workaround that I use with CS3.
- Once editing is complete output each audio track with File>Export>Audio.
- Import each track into your Audition or other app
- Sweeten and save as a single file in appropriate format
- Import audio track to your PP timeline and replace existing audio

I said it was a kluge, and if you change your video timeline you have to start over, but it's the best way I know of to do what you want to do.

Jiri Fiala November 22nd, 2008 10:15 AM

Thanks Tripp, I know many workarounds for this, I was just whining Adobe has TWO audio apps and NONE of them performs what it should.

I mostly export an AAF, import it to Vegas and work there. That way is the closest to what it should be like. It`s buggy and flawed, though.

Tripp Woelfel November 22nd, 2008 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiri Fiala (Post 967422)
Thanks Tripp, I know many workarounds for this, I was just whining Adobe has TWO audio apps and NONE of them performs what it should.

*** Passing Jiri the cheese *** (grin)

Perhaps a well and thoroughly written enhancement request to the Premier people might help for the future. If Adobe want PP to be taken seriously as a professional part of CSx, it's something they might want to consider.

Brian Parker November 23rd, 2008 10:01 AM

I totally agree with Jiri. I had such high hopes when i heard the SB was going to be multi-track. Audio workflow integration has been top of my list with dynamic link for ppro sequences in AE.

Adobe delivered on the AE PPro front, but I'm disappointed about the audio side. At the very least they could allow you to batch convert all your audio to SB editable clips and let you copy and paste the clips between apps.

Eric Addison November 23rd, 2008 10:42 AM

Are you talking about importing in a PPro porject with all the audio tracks in the project on separate tracks in Soundbooth/Audition?

If so, then I agree - that would be a great function. But Soundbooth can support multi-track projects, and it can import in PPro projects, but all the audio comes in on one track.

Brian Parker November 23rd, 2008 11:53 AM

Yes, that's what i was talking about. It'd be ok if just the video got squeezed down to one track. But to do that for the audio too almost makes the feature useless.

Jiri Fiala November 24th, 2008 01:31 AM

Exactly, Brian.