DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   What videocard to choose (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/138540-what-videocard-choose.html)

Eduard Engel November 27th, 2008 03:01 PM

What videocard to choose

Since the new PP CS4 my Matrox Parhelia APVe videocard became unuseable. Matrox did not update their drivers for a higher than PP1.5 I do not think they will for CS4.

So I have to buy a new videocard. The FX series are undoubtedly great, but unaffordable for me, looking further I came some NVidia types like 9600 GT cards.

Now I have to make the next choice between the Asus EN9600GT/HTDI chipspeed 650Mhz and ramsize 1024mb@1800 Mhz GDDR3 or the Asus EN9600GT TOP/HTDI Chipspeed 720 Mhz and ramsize 512mb@2000Mhz GDDR3.

Prices are almost the same, approx € 150 in Holland.

Any thoughts about these cards and their specs? Like to choose speed above ram, or vice versa.

My other specs are Win XP-Pro-sp3, Q6700 Quadcore@2.7 GHZ 4GB DDR2@800Mhz Raid 10 configured HD's 4pcs each 750Gig combined 1.5 Terra, Terratec phase28 soundcard, 2 21" tft monitors 1600x1200 (3200x1200), Used for editing material form a JVC GY-HD111E cam, mostly shot on HD-SD50P mode.

thx.
Eduard

Chris Soucy November 27th, 2008 03:34 PM

Hi Eduard.........

Can't help you with the new card, but can you confirm you have been in touch with Matrox about this issue and been told this option is not & will not be available?

This is the first time I've seen this mentioned anywhere.

CS

Eduard Engel November 27th, 2008 03:46 PM

No I can't confirm this, but since they didn't change anything since PP1.5 I do not expect they will

Graham Hickling November 28th, 2008 12:24 AM

I've been happy with my GIGABYTE GV-NX96T512HP GeForce 9600 GT 512MB. It's presently available in the U.S. for $75 shipped, after rebate.

The big plus for me is that it's fanless.

Jiri Fiala November 28th, 2008 07:00 AM

Yes, fanless is great. And I would really recommend Nvidia cards, as they are far more compatible with all video/gfx/3d apps, (Avid for instance only officially supports Nvidia).

Mark Williams November 28th, 2008 08:20 AM

I did a little research on the GIGABYTE GV-NX96T512HP GeForce 9600 GT. It seems some have reported that it has a problem overheating in extreme workload conditions. However, with a really good air-flow in your case this might not be a problem.

Eduard Engel November 28th, 2008 10:27 AM

Matrox official answer

In addition to my earlier stated thoughts about the updates concerning the Matrox Parhelia card I contacted Matrox with my question, the answer from Martrox can you read here:

---------------
Hi Eduard,

Thank you for your email.

I'm afraid that there will not be any support for Adobe Premiere CS4
WYSIWYG plug-ins with the Parhelia APVe .

Sorry,

Thank you,

Regards,

Romeo Lucina-Bebel

Customer Info:
First Name : Eduard
Last Name : Engel
City/Province/Country : Ouderkerk a/d IJssel, zh, Netherlands
Customer Inquiry :
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I've got a question about the use of my Matrox Parhelia APVe card
with Adobe CS4. Will there be any updates for drivers to let the 2 work
together. Now it won't work, at least with Premiere Pro CS4. Kind
regards, Eduard Engel
----------------------

Graham Hickling November 28th, 2008 09:50 PM

Mark, I suspect "extreme workload" means playing "Crysis" at full resolution with all goodies switched on.

In any case, nothing I've done with video so far, including lengthy MB Looks rendering (which processes using the GPU) plus running dual LCD screens seems to have caused it any difficulty whatsoever.

Graham Hickling November 29th, 2008 03:19 PM

Duplicate post...please delete.

Eduard Engel December 1st, 2008 06:13 PM

Bought a nice looking card, didn't fix my trouble

Ive bought the Asus En9600GT Silent HDMI with 512mb ram, nice card, however I didn't realize that my third (tv) screen won't work any more...

And that the trouble I have with CS4, constant Remoteimportermodule crashes, cpp nr 246 and 251, and thus makes PPCS4 totally useless at the moment. Can't do anything that comes close to any form of rendering or the use of video...

Having a supportcase at Adobe, will keep you informed.

Robert Bobson December 4th, 2008 09:13 AM

any idea if this Matrox Parhelia APVe card will still work if I'm using PPro CS4 with Prospect HD?

(as Larry David might say, "Pretty, pretty confusing....")

Robert Bobson December 4th, 2008 10:47 AM

also, have you seen this card - Quadro NVS 450 ? NVIDIAŽ QuadroŽ NVS 450 Professional Graphics Solution

says you can connect 4 monitors. about $500.