UltraKey from Serious Magic Chroma Key software just released - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:02 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Hamilton
So if I capture an M2t file or AVI from my HDV camera - are the files uncompressed?
Phil, as Karl pointed out M2t files are compressed MPEG-2 in the camera. They are not further compressed during capture or editing in an NLE. All the codecs that Karl mentions (Cineform, uncompressed QT, HuffYUV, Apple Animation) are *less* compressed than M2t, taking load off the cpu during editing and playback. They don't improve the picture, but they usually help maintain the image through multiple generations of compositing or other renders.

Quote:
I know there is compression after coming out of the NLE.
Maybe, maybe not. If you're mastering for a compressed medium such as DVD or most web distribution, then yes, there will be compression out of your NLE, or possibly within another specialty compression program. If you're preparing for tape output there will typically not be further compression.

Quote:
Are all AVIs uncompressed after the capture from DV?
No, DV (DV25, the common prosumer standard) is a compressed standard too. Compression takes place in the camera at a ratio of about 3.5:1 (if memory serves)***edit - whoops, make that 5:1***. We talk about capture, but it is really more of a file transfer - the bits and bytes on the tape are transferred to hard drive. Most low-cost NLEs such as Final Cut Pro, Premiere, Vegas, Avid Xpress are optimized for editing DV25 natively, meaning that there is no further compression unless you choose to compress for distribution.

Last edited by Seth Bloombaum; May 23rd, 2006 at 10:08 AM.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 11:20 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Not sure if anyone is still around for Ultra 2. I have imported a M2T (HDV) file and am finding that the audio is out of sync. Has anyone run into this problem ...perhaps have a fix for it?
Guy Shaddock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite