Onlocation CS3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 9th, 2008, 08:37 AM   #1
Major Player

Onlocation CS3

I just purchased a used copy of Onlocation CS3 to use with my JVC HD200u. I don't have instructions for it, just the disk and serial and it installed fine. However, when I plug the camera into the laptop and open up Onlocation, the only thing that comes up is previewing the mic for my built in webcam. Under device, I don't see the camera (or the webcam for that matter, just the mic for it), is there something really simple I am doing wrong with this? Well, obviously I am doing something wrong, but I'm hoping it is something simple.

Thank you for any advice you can give me.
Jason McCormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #2
Major Player

Are you connecting your camera using Firewire (IEEE 1394)? OnLocation only communicates using Firewire and when you plug your camera in it should automatically recongnize it in the Devices menu. I would assume your webcam is not connected using Firewire, which explains why you don't see it.

I don't use OnLocation very much, but if you have more questions I will try to help.

Good luck,

Lloyd
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 12:22 PM   #3
Major Player

Thank you very much Lloyd.

The camera is a JVC gy HD200u connected via firewire. At first I was wondering if the computer had not recognized it, but Sony Vegas Pro on the same laptop is having no trouble at all recognizing it. Is there a feature I need to go into to "point" the program to the camera?
Old December 9th, 2008, 01:10 PM   #4
Major Player

Hopefully someone else can help. I just know that when I plug my camera in it shows up in the Devices menu and when I unplug it it goes away. I do not need to point the program to the camera in order to see it.
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Not to jump to conclusions, but the trial version of OnLocation can only do DV, not HDV. Try putting your camera in dv mode, if possible. If it works, then somebody has given you the trial. Sounds like someone tried to crack the trial version.
Thomas Barthle Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #6
Major Player

Thomas,

I really hope you are not right about this. SOB. How do I go about checking? He said that he had the Premier suite for mac and couldn't use Onlocation for PC. If that little #@%* pulled a fast one, I think I'm going to pop. I've been trying to find someway to use the camera, set the back focus, and check for lighting with my existing laptop. I don't have the cash for a monitor or hard drive recorder.
Old December 9th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Go into the Help menu and try to activate and register the software. It should tell you if you have the full or the trial version.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite