DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   can't find 8 and 16 point garbage matte handles (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/139641-cant-find-8-16-point-garbage-matte-handles.html)

Harry Lender December 14th, 2008 07:24 PM

can't find 8 and 16 point garbage matte handles

Need some help. I have Premiere CS3. I've been trying to use the 8 and 16 point garbage matte in a project. However I can find the handles in the preview window even if I click on the effect to make it visable. I have done a search here in the forum but no luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Harry

Mitchell Skurnik December 14th, 2008 08:20 PM

Try zooming the preview window out a bit...it might be outside the box

Harry Lender December 15th, 2008 06:30 AM

I tried that....No luck. Thanks for your reply.
Harry

Marty Hudzik December 15th, 2008 10:45 AM

Try clicking on the effect in the effect controls window. I seem to recall you cannot access the points until you hilight the effect, simlar to how you cannot move and assett until you click on the particular parameters in Premiere. I hope it is as simple as this.

Harry Lender December 15th, 2008 12:27 PM

I also tried that. No luck. I can only move the matte with the numbers after I click on the triangle twirling the controls into view but that's a pain to do. I know in the earlier version of PPro I could see the handles but not it CS3. Oh well I'll try some other things. Thanks for you replying.
Harry

Robin Davies-Rollinson December 17th, 2008 12:58 AM

There is a problem with garbage matte handles in CS3. When I do get to see them they bear no relationship to the area I'm trying to matte...
I read of one workaround (Adobe - should we really have to find a workaround ?!) and that is to place a copy of the clip you're working on on the timeline above the main clip and apply the matte to that. It does work, though I don't know why...

Harry Lender December 17th, 2008 07:04 PM

Unfortunatly it did not work for me. I tried it several times but with know luck. Thanks for trying. I'll keep trying.
Harry

Robin Davies-Rollinson December 18th, 2008 01:01 AM

Harry, try applying the matte to the lower track then - it might have been that...

Harry Lender December 18th, 2008 09:01 AM

Robin
Thanks so much for taking the time to check this out and trying to help. Your last suggestion did not work. I then tried opening the clip up in PPro 1.5 and applying the sixteen point matte to it there and all the handles were visable. So then I went back to CS3 and tried again with no luck. If all else fails I'll just do what I have to in 1.5, make an AVI, then import it back to CS3. That's the only "work around" I know that works. Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

Harry

Harry Lender December 19th, 2008 08:54 AM

Ya know
Thinking about all this trouble, you would think that Adobe would check things out more thoroughly making sure all the tools and effects work when they release a new upgrade. Makes me think would it be worth it upgrading to CS4? As of this time no. I like PPro but it seems that the quality is going down with each upgrade. Go figure. Anyway just my Opinion.
Harry

Robin Davies-Rollinson December 19th, 2008 09:17 AM

...and yet, the garbage matte works perfectly in Premiere Elements 7 - and in AVCHD as well!!!

Harry Lender December 19th, 2008 09:48 AM

Yes...simply amazing.

Colin Zhang January 4th, 2009 04:34 AM

Same problem here in CS4...what's going on here, Adobe?