another new guy thread at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 4th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

another new guy thread

Hi Guys!

I'm really excited to be part of these forums.....lots of info and lots of NICE talented people.My kinda place.I had a couple of questions for you.I've just now gotten into video with my first camera and am anxious to learn everything and anything( kind of obsessed actually). After much debate I've decided to run with premiere pro cs4 (the suite version) For editing and all that jazz.I think the main reason is that I am really familiar with photoshop.I felt at home with the UI.I thought about FCP studio but wasn't sure of it.Plus I wasn't able to find a free trial for it.....eeeeerg. Am I making the right choice here? Also what is the end all say all best book/dvd tutorial for the Adobe suite? Hope this wasn't to painful for you guys to get through ( I know I can tend to go on and on).

Thanks!
Ryan
Ryan Morey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #2
Regular Crew

If you're looking for a job editing, I'd say Final Cut Pro is your best bet because that's what the majority of the people use. That and Avid. Most Hollywood films are edited in Avid.

As far as Premiere being the right choice, if you're using it for your own personal projects or your clients don't really care what you use to edit, then yeah, Premiere is definitely a great choice. But some clients ask for Final Cut Pro or Avid specifically, so you'll have to decide that based on your situation.

I have my own business so I use Premiere. In my opinion, Premiere can actually do MORE than Final Cut so I use it. I also find it has the best/simplest editing tools.

As far as learning, there's this:

Amazon.com: Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book: Adobe Creative Team: Books

and this (although it's for an older version, it's still a great book):
Amazon.com: Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 Studio Techniques: Jacob Rosenberg: Books

Good luck and if you have any questions, search the forum or feel free to ask!
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Paul! I'm going into the wedding biz for I think premiere is a good fit.I'm just having a difficult time figuring things out.I know all of this will come in time and practice.I'll check those books out.I was actually thinking of using lynda.com.I hear that's a good start.

Thanks again!
Ryan
Ryan Morey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yeah I heard Lynda.com is great with the video tutorials. That's also a great resource. Definitely check them out!
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Morey View Post
I was actually thinking of using lynda.com.I hear that's a good start.
Lynda.com is great. Well organized, concise and very informative. You could lose days in there.

I would highly recommend it.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks guys!

I'm going to go sign up for a month at lynda.com and see how it goes.I think that is definitely the best bet.I'd rather watch video tutrials anyway.Thanks again for everything!

Ryan
Ryan Morey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite